Fix “ Scanpst.exe can’t be found or started when Outlook is installed via the Microsoft Store” Issue
Microsoft Outlook is the email client that is famous to the users for exchange of information and email communication. It is a desktop-based email application and stores all its mailbox data in PST file format. But like any other file formats, PST file is also prone to corruption sometimes. There can be any possible reasons behind it like a human-generated error, oversized PST file, etc. However,
Microsoft has an inbuilt utility also to resolve any type of issue in Outlook PST file named as scanpst.exe. It is basically an Inbox Repair tool that is designed to overcome all that might occur while using Outlook. But in some cases, users are unable to locate or run this scanpst.exe tool on the system.
Try the best automated tool to repair Outlook data file. This tool is capable enough to repair all types of corruption of Outlook PST file.
At that point in time, it becomes really difficult for a user to resolve the PST file issue that they are facing. One of the possible reason is Scanpst.exe can’t be found or started when Outlook is installed via the Microsoft Store. Now, the question is how this issue can be resolved. This blog will let users know the different ways to get rid off this errors in a smart way.
“Yesterday, my Outlook was crashed due to a sudden power shutdown. Now, I am having a doubt that my PST file might get corrupted. In order to test and make sure that PST file is not corrupted, I want to scan it using the scanpst.exe application. But the problem is I am not able to locate scanpst.exe and start. I think the problem is I installed Outlook via Microsoft Store and the default location of Inbox Repair tool has changed. If anyone knows how to overcome this issue, please suggest. It will be a great help.”
Reason Behind “Scanpst.exe can’t be found or started” Error
If a user is encountering such error while running Inbox Repair Tool software, then there must be some valid reason behind it.
- If a user has installed Outlook application from Microsoft Store on any Windows version, then the default location of files is different from the regular installation from Office website.
- Another possible reason behind this error is that there is various additional security (sandbox) limitations that prevent users from running some particular exe files directly. So, whenever a user tries to start scanpst.exe it displays an error message stating:
Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.
You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.
How to Overcome “Scanpst.exe Can’t Be Found or Started” Issue?
Before jumping to the solution, you need to make sure that from where you have installed Microsoft Outlook application. Now to do the same, follow the steps mentioned below:
Check Outlook is Installed Via Microsoft Store or Not
To find out Outlook is installed via Microsoft Store or Office website, follow the steps mentioned below:
Simply, navigate to Start >> Settings >> Apps option.
If there is a list for Microsoft Office Desktop Application, then it is clear that Outlook is installed via Microsoft Store. However, if there is a list of Microsoft Office 365, the Outlook is installed via Office website.
1. First of all, open Outlook application and click on the File >> Office Account option
2. After that, click on About Outlook button to find out the version information
3. Here, it will either display Microsoft Store or Click-to-Run. This latter determines that installation is done via Office website.
Try to Open scanpst.exe Using Any Other Office App Installed via Microsoft Store
Now, to overcome this issue when Scanpst.exe can’t be found in Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003 , one thing that a user can do is try to open this scanpst.exe with the help of some other Office app, which are installed via Microsoft Store. Here, we have used Microsoft Word. After that, just follow the steps mentioned below:
1. In Microsoft Word application, click on File >> Open
2. After that, click on Browse button Insert >> Pictures
3. Then, go to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps location
4. Next, you need to open the folder:
Here, this # generally determine the version of Outlook.
Make sure that you have not selected Outlook folder containing “neutral” in its name. Moreover, if there is AppxMetadata folder in it, then you have to open the wrong folder.
5. After that, you need to open the folder that named as Office16
6. Then, choose All Files (*.*) option from the drop-down filter in the bottom-right corner of the window
7. Now, simply scroll down and right-click on the scanpst.exe and click on the Open button
It is a bit odd but not impossible to open scanpst.exe using Microsoft Word. However, when it gets open, work normally.
Alternative: Switch to Office Website Installation
Another possible way to fix this Scanpst.exe can’t be found or started issue is switch to Office Website or Click-to-Run installation. Now, for the same, follow the steps mentioned below:
1. First of all, navigate to Start >> Settings >> Apps option
2. After that, simply uninstall: Microsoft Office Desktop Apps
3. Then, navigate to Office.com
4. Next, login into it and click on the “Install Office” link from the top-right corner and follow the instructions displayed on the screen.
The above-discussed tricks will resolve this issue surely when Scanpst.exe can’t be found in Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003 . After that, a user can easily scan and repair Outlook PST file via scanpst.exe. But always keep one thing mind, Inbox Repair Tool is able to resolve high level of corruption issues from PST file. Therefore, to fix all type of corruption from PST file, a user can go for Recovery software by SysTools and get satisfactory results.