How to Import Thunderbird Emails into Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010 from User Identity Profile?
[Updated: The following blog has been updated to fulfill the needs of users of all Outlook versions. It is applicable for importing Thunderbird emails to Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 & 2003.]
Mozilla Thunderbird is one of the most prominent email clients, which is used to store the complete information of Thunderbird in the User Identity Profile folder or user-defined location. But, sometimes due to bugs, virus attack or unexpected errors, Thunderbird email client crashes, and the mailbox gets corrupted. The errors can occur at any time and lead to data loss or corruption in Thunderbird.
On the other hand, Microsoft Outlook is a renowned email client that stores its entire information in PST format. MS Outlook also offers various advanced features which are not available in the Thunderbird program. Therefore, most of the Thunderbird client users are in need to import Thunderbird emails into Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010.
Let’s take an example of a user who wants migrate their emails from Thunderbird Profile to Outlook 2013.
“Please help me!! I have been using Mozilla Thunderbird for the last 7 years. So a huge chunk of data has accumulated over these years. Due to professional reasons, I had no choice but to switch to Outlook and there is just no way I can transfer my Thunderbird data over to Outlook account. The manual method I used took a lot of time and still a chunk of data is nowhere to be found. I have to get this done urgently. Can someone provide me with the methods to do so without losing data?”
How to Import Thunderbird Emails into Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010?
Do note that Thunderbird email client can work on either of the two files to store the data, they are namely:
So, the article defines solutions that can be applied to both the file formats.
Transfer Thunderbird Mailbox to Outlook (MBOX)
For importing Thunderbird mail into Outlook program, first, you have to add Gmail account to Mozilla using IMAP Configuration. Remember, if the data is large in size, it can take days to complete.
Step 1: Adding Any Email Client Account via IMAP
Go through the below mentioned steps to move emails from Thunderbird to Outlook 2016. Although any webmail application can be used for this process, we will be opting for Gmail.
1. First of all, add Thunderbird account with Gmail and then, enable the IMAP option in Gmail account by following these options:
- Log in your Gmail account.
- Then, click on Gear icon & open the Gmail settings under the Gmail page.
- Select options Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
- Next, choose the Enable IMAP option.
- Now, configure your IMAP account.
- Finally, click on the Save Changes option.
2. After that, run the Thunderbird application on your local machine. Go to Tools >> Account Settings. The Select Account Actions >> Add Mail Account. Then, enter the name, email address, and password to open Thunderbird account. Click on the Continue button to proceed further.
3. Next, enable the IMAP checkbox & then, go to the manual configuration process.
4. After that, enter all the required information in the incoming and outgoing section.
- Incoming: imap.gmail.com, Port: Either993 (SSL) or 143 (very infrequently 585 (SSL)
- Outgoing: smtp.gmail.com, Port: Either 25 or 465 (SSL) (very infrequently 2525)
5. Then, click on the Re-test button if you have filled everything correctly, then, the task will finish completely. After this, choose to Create a new Account option.
6. Now, you can Check your Gmail account by opening Thunderbird Profile.
7. Then, drag messages from Thunderbird to configured Gmail Profile
Step 2: Repeating IMAP Config in Microsoft Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016
After configuring Thunderbird with Gmail account, now you need to setup Microsoft Outlook Profile with Gmail configuration. So, follow these steps for importing Thunderbird emails into Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016 which are mentioned below:
1. First, go to the File menu and click on the Add Account.
2. Then a dialog box will appear, select option – Manually configure server settings or additional server types and click on Next button.
3. Then, go to the Internet Email option and click on Next button.
4. Now enter the name, email address, and password in the dialog box.
5. Go to Account Type and select IMAP option for IMAP email account.
6. Now, you need to type imap.gmail.com for Incoming server and smtp.gmail.com for outgoing server. Then, click on the More Settings option.
7. In the Outgoing Server, select Outgoing Server (SMTP) requires Authentication
8. After that, click on Use Same Settings as My Incoming Server option & enter 993/995 port number in the Incoming Server Port.
9. Next, choose This Server Requires an Encrypted Connection option. For IMAP mail account, setting the type of encryption to SSL.
10. In this step, in the outgoing server Port, type 587/465 port number. Then, set the type of encryption to TLS & click OK button.
11. Now, select the Test Account Setting option for checking the account settings.
12. Finally, you will receive a message like “your account settings are correct”. Then, click on the Next button to close the dialog box. All files will be transferred to MS-Outlook successfully.
Import Thunderbird Mail to Outlook without Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010
The above discussed manual approach is very long and time-consuming. Therefore, many users are looking for a trusted automatic solution which can overcome manual procedure limitation. So, users are suggested to use reliable software like MBOX to Outlook converter tool. It helps users to directly export Thunderbird files to Outlook in an efficient manner without any fear of data loss. It allows migrating Thunderbird emails to Outlook in bulk as well as selective emails. The tool can also import Thunderbird emails from Thunderbird User Identity into Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016 along with its associated attachments. In addition, it will maintain the folder hierarchy and data integrity after the conversion process.
Exporting Thunderbird to Outlook with software
Step 1: Launch SysTools MBOX to Outlook converter tool.
Step 2: Choose ‘Thunderbird’ and select relevant MBOX files to export.
Step 3: Preview the scanned Thunderbird emails in tool’s interface.
Step 4: Click on ‘Export’ to convert Thunderbird to Outlook easily.
Import Thunderbird Emails to Outlook (Maildir)
Thunderbird supports one more file format to store emails i.e., Maildir. The mail storage mechanism used by Maildir format is different from MBOX format. Unlike MBOX file format, it stores single message per file and having its own perks. For example, backup of required email is really easier. Thus, there are some users who choose the Maildir file format to store Thunderbird emails. Now, here is one query commonly asked by Thunderbird Maildir users:
“Does anyone out there know any solution to export Thunderbird Maildir to Outlook? Whenever I tried to look for a method to switch from Thunderbird to Outlook, I only get to know about MBOX to PST conversion. But, here all my emails are saved in Maildir format so want to know how can I export Maildir to PST format.”
Method to Export Thunderbird Maildir to Outlook Format
To convert Thunderbird Maildir emails to Outlook PST there is no direct manual solution available. To achieve the same, a user is advised to take help of some third-party tool. SysTools Maildir converter is one such application that helps users in the same. It has the ability to convert Thunderbird Maildir to PST format of MS Outlook. The software is designed in a manner that it export all emails along with attachments to PST format. Moreover, whenever a user is required to transfer selective emails from Thunderbird to Outlook, the tool offers a date-based filter option. Apart from all this, the application can easily be installed or launched on any version of MS Windows OS.
Steps to Convert Thunderbird Maildir to Outlook Format
1. Install and open the software on the local machine
2. Now, from the left panel, Browse the Thunderbird Maildir files that you want to convert
3. After that, right-click on the selected files and click on the Export option
4. Select the PST file as an Export type and Browse the destination location
5. Click the Export button again and begin Thunderbird Maildir to Outlook conversion process
There are many advantages of using Outlook as an email application due to which users are searching for a solution to import Thunderbird mail to Outlook. Considering the requirement of users, we have discussed here both manual and automatic process to import Thunderbird emails into Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010. But, it is recommended to use SysTools application which is a perfect, simple, and instant solution to import Thunderbird files into Outlook 2016.
Some Common User Queries
Where Thunderbird save its mailbox files?
In the explorer window, search for APPDATA%\Thunderbird\Profiles\. It will open the location of your Thunderbird profile. Simply look for mailbox files inside the folder.
Another way is to go to Tools>Account Settings> Server Settings and look for the location in Local Directory.
How do I access MBOX files of Mozilla Thunderbird in Microsoft Outlook?
Direct access is not possible, but you can follow the steps given in this article to migrate Thunderbird data files.
Can I export Maildir files to Outlook?
Yes, Thunderbird supports both MBOX and Maildir file format and with the defined methods you can make them accessible in Outlook.
How do I import Thunderbird emails to Outlook without installation of its associated email client?
If you don’t have access to MS Outlook, then manual solutions won’t be enough to achieve the migration. Hence, you must go for an automated tool.