How to Import PST File into Outlook Web App? Explained in Detail
This article deals with a question asked by the various naive users in Exchange and Microsoft Forum i.e “How do we import PST files into Outlook Web App using browsers from anywhere and at any time using internet connectivity to view mailbox details?” Outlook can be accessed via OWA when the account is configured with Exchange Online and Microsoft applications. Outlook users can import their Outlook PST file into their Outlook web app for email management.
So what are the possible ways to import PST Files into Outlook Web Applications? To find the solution to this issue, first, we need to understand the given below scenarios such as:
- How can we move Outlook PST files stored locally within the system or an Offline or dismounted PST File stored on a PC?
- How to import PST Files data, where the account by default configures with it?
5 Quick & Simple Steps to Import PST to Outlook Web App
- Step 1. Download, Install & Run the Software.
- Step 2. Enter Office 365 Admin/User Credentials.
- Step 3. Click on Add Files/Folders to Load PST.
- Step 4. Add Office 365 User IDs & Authenticate.
- Step 5. Choose Mailbox Category & Start Import.
In the first scenario, PST File is locally stored, so using the Microsoft Azure AzCopy tool, we can move the PST file to Microsoft 365 account manually and import it into Outlook Web App. For another condition, Outlook user needs to export mailbox data into a PST File format using the Import / Export Wizard. Follow the steps to move mailbox items:
- Open Outlook Application and Click on the File option.
- Click on the Open & Export Option and select the “Import / Export” Wizard.
- Select the “Export to a File” option and select Outlook (.pst) file format.
- Select the Mailboxes Items and Sub Folder you want to import in Outlook 365.
- Browse the location to save the resultant PST File in the local system.
After PST File is created and stored in the local system, use the “Network Upload” method to import PST files into Outlook Web App. The Complete Process of moving files is divided into the following sections:
Step 1. Install Azure AzCopy & Copy SAS URL
- First, need to Open the Link
- Provide Credentials for Microsoft Office 365 to access it. After providing the correct credentials, select Security & Compliance Center >> Data governance >> Import.
- Now Open, Import Wizard Click on the “New Import Job” option and provide a unique name with lowercase and hyphens.
- Select the “Upload your Data” option.
- Now click on the “Azure AzCopy” option to download the latest Azure AzCopy Tool
- Now run the Azure AzCopy tool so that, we can import PST files into Outlook Web App
- Now Run Command Prompt and Run Command: AzCopy.exe /Source: /Dest: /V: /Y
|Source:||Directory path of stored PST File|
|/Dest:||URL path created from “Show Network Upload SAS URL”|
|/V:||Verbose log file|
Now run the above command to import PST file into Outlook Web Access. You can view a similar path below image:
Step 2. Create the PST Import Mapping File
Once, you have uploaded the PST file to the Azure location from there we need to move it to the Outlook web app. For that, we need to create a CSV file with user mailboxes of PST files. This New Created CSV file is needed while creating Import jobs.
You can Sample download CSV from the Following Link
Step 3. Create PST Import Job in Outlook 365 Application
- Now, at last, Check the options “I upload my files” and “I have access to the mapping file“.
- In the next screen, you need to add the created CSV File using the option “Select Mapping File”. When you successfully validate the CSV File, then start the analysis process so that data can be ready to migrate Office 365 environment.
- When the analysis process is completed, a prompt screen appears with a different option such as “Yes, I want to filter it before importing” and “No I want to import everything“.
- If you want to import complete mailbox data to Outlook 365 so that can be accessed via OWA, select the second option. When the process is completed, Open Office 365 application to view the resulting PST File and now use OWA to access it.
Checkout:- Tutorial to Import PST Files to Gmail
Alternative Solution to Access PST File in Outlook Web App
As we can see lengthy steps with lots of prerequisites should be followed to import PST Files into OWA. Even Downloading different tools (Azure Tool) to move and check file details can be a tedious task and the Administrator should have some experience with these tools first so that any error can be fixed easily. To avoid all these issues regarding the migration process, use SysTools Import PST to Office 365 Tool.
An automated solution can help you import PST files into the Outlook web app so that PST files can easily access inside Outlook Web App. Software directly imports multiples PST files, with complete information on emails, contacts, and calendar sections. Also, use the Advanced Feature of Incremental import with a Date Filter and completely supports Outlook File. In addition to this, you can also import PST files to a Shared mailbox using this tool.
Automated Software Steps to Import PST to Outlook Online
Step 1. Download & run the tool. Enter Office 365 Admin/User credentials & log in.
Step 2. Add the desired user PST files/folders from your local computer.
Step 3. Provide respective Office 365 user IDs & authenticate required permissions.
Step 4. Choose the required mailbox category items & apply the date filter to import.
Step 5. Click on the Start Import button to import PST files into Outlook Web Access (OWA).
Note: If your Outlook PST file is damaged and or inaccessible in your Outlook account, then it is important to repair and fix it before you import PST into Outlook Web Access account. In such cases, you can use Outlook Recovery software. This application can repair corrupted, damaged, inaccessible, and oversized PST data file items effortlessly without any data loss. The tool maintains data integrity and preserves the PST mailbox metadata retained even after the repair and recovery process. Also, the application can directly import repaired PST data items into Outlook Web Access user, admin, or shared mailbox effectively.
To know how to import your Outlook PST files into Outlook Web Access, the Administrator needs to move PST files into either Exchange or Office365 Application. In the above section, we discuss the method to import PST files into Outlook Web App / Access, so that a user can access the PST file using OWA. Either Administrator can try an automated solution or can follow lengthy and Time-Consuming techniques using Microsoft Azure Import Tool.