How do I Open PST File in Outlook Web App?
This article deals with a question asked by the various naive users in Exchange and Office 365 Forum. How do we import PST files into Outlook Web App using browsers from anywhere and any time using internet connectivity to view mailbox details? As Outlook can be accessed via OWA when account configured with Exchange Online and Office 365 application. Outlook user can open Outlook Online application in Office 365 account for email management.
So what are the possible ways to import PST Files into Outlook Web Application? To find the solution to this issue, first, we need to understand the given below scenarios such as:
- How can we move Outlook PST File stored locally within the system or an Offline or dismounted PST File stored in PC?
- How to import PST Files data, where account by default configures with it?
In the first scenario, PST File is locally stored, so that using the Microsoft Azure AzCopy tool, we can move PST file to Office 365 account manually and open PST file in Outlook Web App. For another condition, Outlook user needs to export mailbox data into a PST File format using the Import / Export Wizard. Follow the steps to move mailbox items:
- Open Outlook Application and Click on File option.
- Click on Open & Export Option and select “Import / Export” Wizard.
- Select “Export to a File” option and select Outlook (.pst) file format.
- Select the Mailboxes Items and Sub Folder you want to import in an Office 365 application.
- Browse location to save the resulted PST File in the local system and at last on “Finish” button to export process.
After PST File created and stored in the local system, use “Network Upload” method to import PST files into Outlook Web App. The Complete process of moving file divided into the following sections:
Section 1: Install Azure AzCopy & Copy SAS URL
- First, need to Open the Link
Prerequisite: User needs to be global Administrator in Office 365 organizations.
- Provide Credentials of Microsoft Office 365 to access it. After providing correct credentials, select Security & Compliance Center >> Data governance >> Import.
- Now Open, Import Wizard and Click on “New Import Job” option and provide a unique name with lower case and hyphens.
Notes: Now Click on “Show Network Upload SAS URL” to copy and save Generated SAS URL link to use in below steps
- Select “Upload you Data” option.
- Now click on “Azure AzCopy” option to download the latest Azure AzCopy Tool
- Now run Azure AzCopy tool so that, we can import PST files into Outlook Web App
- Now Run Command Prompt and Run Command: AzCopy.exe /Source: /Dest: /V: /Y
||Directory path of stored PST File
||URL path created from “Show Network Upload SAS URL”
||Verbose log file
Now run the above command to open PST file into Outlook Web Access. You can view the similar path in below image:
Section 2: Create the PST Import Mapping File
Now the PST file is uploaded in the Azure location from where we need to move to Office 365. For that, we need to create a CSV file with user mailboxes of PST file. This New Created CSV file is needed while creating Import Job.
You can Sample download CSV from the Following Link
Section 3: Create PST Import Job in Office 365 Application
- Now, at last, Check the options “I upload my files” and “I have access to the mapping file“.
- In the next screen, you need to add the created CSV File using option “Select Mapping File”. When CSV File successfully validated, analysis process started so that data can be ready to migrate Office 365 environment.
- When the analysis process completed, a prompt screen appears with a different option such as “Yes, I want to filter it before importing” and “No I want to import everything“.
- If you want to import complete mailbox data to Office 365 so that can be accessed via OWA, select the second option. When process completed, Open Office 365 application to view the resulted PST File and now use OWA to access it.
Related :- Tutorial to Import PST Files to Gmail
Alternative Solution to Open PST File into Outlook Web App
As we can see lengthy steps with lots of prerequisites should be followed to import PST Files into OWA. Even Downloading different tools (Azure Tool) to move and check file details can be tedious task and Administrator should have some experience on these tools first so that any error can be fixed easily. To avoid all these issues regarding the migration process, use SysTools Office 365 Import Tool.
An automated solution to import Outlook Mail to Office 365 account, so that PST File can easily be opened into Outlook Web App. Software directly imports multiples PST File, with complete information of emails, contacts, calendar sections. Also, use the Advanced Feature of Incremental Backup with Date Filter and completely supports for Outlook File
Important Point: If your Outlook PST file is damaged and or inaccessible in your Outlook account, then it is important to repair and fix it before you import PST into Outlook Web Access account. In such cases, you can use Outlook Recovery software. This application can repair corrupted, damaged, inaccessible, oversized PST data file items effortlessly without any data loss. The tool maintains data integrity and preserves the PST mailbox metadata retained even after repair and recovery process. Also, the application can directly import repaired PST data items into Outlook Web Access user, admin or shared mailbox effectively.
To know how to Open PST file into Outlook Web Access, Administrator needs to move PST File into either Exchange and Office365 Application. In the above section, we discuss the method to import PST files into Outlook Web App / Access, so that PST file data can be accessed using OWA. Either Administrator can try an automated solution or can follow lengthy and Time-Consuming techniques using Microsoft Azure Import Tool.