Guide to Convert IMAP Emails to MSG Format
Every IMAP user often faces a situation where he wants to migrate IMAP emails to an MSG file but does not know how to do it. In this blog, we will talk about the solution to export IMAP to MSG.
Microsoft’s Outlook email client uses the .msg file extension to store a single email message, contact, calendar, task, notes, and journal. When you drag and drop emails from Outlook to the desktop of your computer, they are saved as MSG files.
The message text, email metadata, sender/recipient information, time, attachment hyperlinks, and other information are all stored in the MSG file.
IMAP is gaining popularity at a rapid rate as the globe becomes more mobile than ever. Tablets, laptops, cell phones, and other devices are creating more IMAP users than ever before.
However, users don’t know where their data is stored on the server. Is their data private? Is the data safe and secure? To solve this problem, users create a backup of emails from the IMAP mailbox to the Outlook MSG format. So, let’s start the process.
Manual Method to Export IMAP to MSG File
Here, we will explain the manual method in two steps. First, we will configure the IMAP account in the Outlook email client. Next, we will export the MSG file from the email client.
Step 1: Configure the IMAP Account in Outlook Email Client
- Download and open the email client in your operating system.
- Configure your IMAP account in the mail client by entering login details.
- Enter the login credentials for the second-time confirmation.
Wait for the synchronization process to complete. You can then create the backup of emails from the IMAP mailbox to MSG file format.
Step 2: Export IMAP Server Emails to MSG
- Open the mail client and select the file you want to export as MSG.
- Drag and drop email messages on your desktop to save them as MSG files.
Constraints of the Manual Method
- Users will require to install an external mail application.
- This method does not allow you to export IMAP email folders in bulk.
- Technical knowledge is required to execute the required steps properly; otherwise, the process could result in data loss.
Professional Method to IMAP to MSG Conversion
SysTools IMAP Backup Software offers a simple and effective way to export IMAP emails to MSG files along with attachments. It offers the bulk backup functionality and there is no requirement for Microsoft Outlook configuration to convert the IMAP server emails to MSG.
All those who wish to test the tool before putting money into it can do so with the free demo option. Users may convert the first 100 email items from IMAP to MSG file format with the free edition of the software. You may later upgrade to the licensed version to eliminate some of the file restrictions.
Steps to Export IMAP Emails to MSG
Follow the steps to convert the IMAP account email into MSG file format.
- Step 1. Download and run the software in your operating system.
- Step 2. Provide the login details in the software.
- Step 3. Select single or multiple folders to convert IMAP emails to the desired file format. Here, we have selected the MSG format.
- Step 4. Apply the Advance Settings options such as the naming and saving option.
- Step 5. Choose the destination location in the software.
- Step 6. Click the Start Backup button.
- Step 7. The emails are exported from IMAP to MSG file format.
In this blog, we have discussed two ways of creating the backup of emails from the IMAP mailbox to MSG files. The manual method is free of cost but has some limitations and risks; whereas, the professional solution comes with a variety of functionalities like bulk conversion, advanced filters, etc. The facility to contact the technical support staff, in case of any queries, is also available with the automated tool.