Know How to Put Page Numbers in PDF File Along with Steps Performed
A PDF document showcases a fixed flat layout for all the data including text, images, infographics, and other information in the file. The user can easily use the PDF file on any platform and the document file will not be altered till changes are not done in the PDF file. The Adobe family introduced the usage of PDF files and moreover has provided an application to modify the layout and content inside a PDF document. In this article, we will talk about How to put page numbers in PDF file and why the user requirement came to add page numbers to PDF documents?
Let’s start from the need to build an option of page number insertion in pdf files header or footer section.
Need to Place / Set Page numbers in a PDF File
As you might be knowing that bates stamping machine were used to insert page number (in serial order) to each page at various legal file collection centers. But, as time passed the usage of pages declined and the era of PDF files came into existence in all legal firms. Thus, the need for a method to include page numbers on these PDF files raised. Analyzing the need for organizing PDF files through applying page numbers to the documents, Adobe included a feature of Bates stamping PDF documents in an application owned by Adobe, popularly known as Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (latest version of the application). But do you know how does this numbering help the users working in different firms? Let’s discuss some divisions where this requirement is at the peak
- For Advocates: Organize case details for past and ongoing cases
- Business Firms: Serializing each module of documented project details
- Research and Medical: Keeping a record for each finding in research
Now as we have come across the requirement fields, let’s move towards the solution to apply page numbers to PDF files that are being discussed in the below section.
Simple Steps to Print PDF with Page Numbers Added
- Run PDF Bates Numberer
- Click on Generate Bates >> Print PDF >> Add PDF Files
- Enter Bates stamp details
- Position page number and select Print format
- Click on Generate button
Download Now Purchase Now
Download Now Purchase Now
How to Put Page Numbers in PDF File?
The page numbers can be inserted into a PDF document in two methods, and they are defined below
- Set page no in PDF using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC
- Place bates in PDF with Automated Solution
Let us start knowing each method one by one. We begin with the method that Adobe Acrobat has implanted for page number insertion in PDF files.
How to Place Bates in PDF Documents Using Adobe Acrobat DC?
You can use Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and easily put page numbers in PDF documents in an organized manner. You need to just follow the steps mentioned below
- Open the PDF file in Acrobat Pro DC
- Go to Organize Pages shown on right side of the document
- Click More option and go to Bates Numbering, then, select Add option
- Select OK if no other files are to be numbered. Click Add Files to insert more files
- Point to header or footer text field & click Insert Bates Number option
- In the new window, enter below required fields
- Number of digits (page number)
- Start Number (initial whole number)
- Prefix (entered before page number)
- Suffix (entered after page number)
View the PDF with page numbers placed after the process is completed.
Two things you need to remember while working with Adobe Acrobat. One, License Adobe Acrobat Pro DC to perform page numbering process over the PDF files. Two, Enter the password for Protected / Encrypted PDF files to make changes in PDF.
Also, read How to remove encryption from PDF file without password?
Now let’s move on to the next procedure and know how to put page numbers in PDF in the below section.
How to Place Page Numbers in a PDF File Professionally?
If we talk about SysTools PDF Bates Numberer, the tool provides a good interface with advanced capability to remove encryptions on PDF files. The application offers functionality to place page numbers to multiple PDF Files in a single process. For a quick look, let’s move to the steps performed by the application.
- Download and Install the application on your system
- Click the Generate bates option
- Choose Generate Bates Number option
- Add PDF files & check for Remove Encryption from PDF files option
- Provide below details to put page numbers in PDF file
- Prefix (of page number)
- Suffix (of page number)
- Number of Digits (Any Number other to 0)
- Start number (initial number)
- Increment By (optional, usually set to 1)
- Enter Additional text (if required) and position it. Click on Next button
- Select details for following section
- Bates Number Positioning
- Position the bates using drop-down function
- Choose Continue Series for all PDF (optional)
- Choose Maintain Same Number Per File (optional)
- Font color & Font Size
- Choose Retain Original File Name option
- Browse save location and proceed
- Select Generate to start page numbering
After the process completes, reach the file saved location and view PDF files with page number placed. You will find the page number entered on the header or a footer side as per the position selected.
This article is all about the need for page numbering feature in PDF files and how to put page numbers in PDF files? Here, various methods to perform page numbering in PDF file are discussed and you have the choice to Opt. the one that you feel efficient to use.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to Print PDF with Page Numbers?
To print PDF File with page numbers inserted, use Adobe Acrobat DC. This application will easily add page numbers to PDF (multiple) files. Save the PDF and then click on File menu >> Print.
You can also press Ctrl + P on the keyboard to Print the PDF document with added page numbers.
Can you add page numbers to PDF?
Yes, it is possible to add page numbers to PDF with a PDF page numbering application like the Adobe Acrobat.
How do I paginate a PDF document?
In Acrobat, go to Organize PDF option and choose bates numbering option.
Then, point to a header or footer field and click on Insert Bates Number button to put page numbers.
Customize page numbering details and click OK to confirm the Start Number