How to Merge Duplicate Contacts in Outlook? Easy Solutions!
Outlook is the most preferable email application which is provided by Microsoft. It is used by large or small organizations. It is the first user preference when it comes to email clients for several reasons such as an understandable user interface, safe and secure, and some more advanced features.
Furthermore, users have to face several issues while working with Microsoft Outlook. Sometimes, they may face the occurrence of multiple duplicate contact entries in Outlook. Therefore, in the upcoming section, we are going to discuss some simple strategies to remove or merge duplicate contacts in Outlook 2021, 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, and 2007.
Before proceeding further go through the following scenario that will help to make you understand the need to eliminate duplicate contacts, and understand how Outlook remove duplicate contacts. The below-listed scenario is taken from the forum site:
“I am having multiple accounts in my Outlook application. Thus, I need to remove duplicate & merge Outlook contacts of both accounts in the address book. I tried it to do manually but when I opted to merge duplicate contacts, Outlook is getting hanged so, I select “Allow duplicate” for both accounts contacts. Therefore, I want to delete duplicates contacts and merge them. So, please suggest me a method to perform the task in an effective manner. Thanks.”
Like above, there are multiple users available on the web, that are looking for the same solution. In the coming section, we will explore different ways to merge duplicate contacts in Outlook. Here are the topics, that we will discuss throughout the post…
Expert Way to Delete Duplicate Contacts from Outlook
You can take the help of SysTools Outlook PST Merge software which allows you to efficiently merge and remove duplicate contacts in Outlook. With the help of this tool, one can easily get rid of copied address book entries in MS Outlook without any fear of data loss. This software furnishes an understandable interface even, though a novice user can also perform the task easily and simply.
The wizard is capable of eliminating duplicate Outlook contacts during the merging contacts of multiple PST data files and folders simultaneously. This software helps you to manage multiple PST files in Outlook including contacts by merging and deleting the duplicates. Furthermore, below we are going to discuss the working steps of the reliable software.
Steps to Remove Duplicate Contacts in Outlook
- Download and Run the software on your machine.
- Add a PST file or folder which contains contacts.
- Here, select the “Merge” tab.
- Check the “Skip Duplicate Items” from the advanced filter options.
- Finally, click on “NEXT” to merge duplicate contacts in Outlook.
Also Read: Combine Outlook Archives Together
Manual Methods to Merge Duplicate Contacts in Outlook
After considering the above-stated scenario, we are going to describe how Outlook removes duplicate contacts manually for free. Following are the workarounds that we are going to discuss to complete the process.
Method 1: Individually Delete Duplicate Contacts from Outlook
- Open Outlook, and select the “People” icon.
- Now, from the Current View tab, select the Phone option from the list.
- Afterwards, use the “Ctrl key and select duplicate contacts.
- At last, use the delete key to merge duplicate contacts in Outlook.
Method 2: Delete Duplicate Contacts from Outlook using the Import/Export Tool
This is the fastest way as compared to removing one-by-one duplicate contact. Thus, it is easy to export them as a file, and then import them into a fresh folder. Moreover, to get the advantage of this duplicate detection faculty in the Outlook import procedure, follow the below-listed steps:
Note: This Manual solution is divided into three different stages.
Stage#1) Create an Empty Folder for Outlook Contacts
- Open Outlook.
- Now, go to the “People” option.
- Now, click right on the Contacts, and select New Folder.
- Go back into your primary Contacts folder & select all the contacts.
- Now, drag & drop all the contacts to the newly created folder.
Stage#2) Export Outlook Contacts from Outlook for Deduplication
- Open Outlook.
- Now, click on File >> Open & Export >> Import/Export.
- Next, select the “Export to a File” and then choose a CSV.
- Choose the duplicate folder that you have created.
- Finally, click “Next” to finish the procedure.
Stage#3) Manually Merge Duplicate Contacts in Outlook
- Open Outlook.
- Click File >> Open and Export >> Import & Export.
- Now, select the Import from another program, and then choose CSV
- Afterwards, browse the CSV file & select Do not import duplicates option.
- Hit on “Finish” to delete duplicate contacts from Outlook.
Commonly Asked Questions
Q) How Can I Delete Duplicate Contacts from Outlook?
- Open Outlook.
- Go to the Contacts folder.
- Now, select all the duplicate contacts.
- Make a right-click & select the ctrl+D key.
- All duplicate contacts will be removed from Outlook.
Q) How to Batch Remove Duplicate Contacts in Outlook?
- Run software.
- Now, browse the PST file to the software panel.
- Select the Merge option from the list.
- Now, select the remove duplicate option in the Advanced filter.
- Browse the location & click Next to delete duplicate contacts from Outlook.
Q) Is it possible to delete the only required contacts field?
Yes, with the help of the mentioned utility, it is possible to merge duplicate contacts in Outlook as per the required contacts fields. You can choose First Name, Last Name, Company, File As, Email ID, etc.
It is a very common issue i.e., a user wants to remove or merge duplicate contacts in Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, and 2007. In the above section, we have discussed two approaches that will help to execute the task positively. It is better for you to go with an alternate solution from SysTools. Moreover, it is your choice that you can opt for any one of them as per your requirement.