How to Remove Duplicate Emails From Outlook 2019 / 2016 / 2013 / 2010?
Summary– Are you having duplicate email messages in Outlook 2019 / 2016 or any other version? If yes, then you have reached the right place. This blog will let you know how to remove duplicate emails from Outlook 2019 / 2016 and the below version. In addition to this, what are all the possible causes of duplicates in Outlook?
In every organization, emails are really important as most of the communication is done via them only. This is the reason Microsoft Outlook is among the top choices of users when it comes to an email client. It is so much popular because of the advanced features to manage emails efficiently. But, like any other mailbox, Outlook users also suffer from duplicate emails issue.
On a daily basis, the number of emails is increasing in our mailboxes. Above this, if there are some duplicates also, the management of email messages becomes a tedious task. Apart from this, it hampers the workflow of users in multiple ways. For example, storage space issues, slow down Outlook performance, etc.
Table of Content
What Are the Possible Causes of Duplicates in Outlook?
Before jumping to the solution to find and remove duplicate email messages of MS Outlook, have a look at the reasons behind the duplicates.
- Mistakes in Outlook Rules: It might be possible that incorrect rules are configured. This might result in data duplication in the Outlook mailbox.
- Short Send/Receive Intervals: If the frequency of Inbox updates is set short, the emails, mailbox components will not get synchronized properly. This might also result in data duplication.
- Incorrect Account Settings: If you have configured the same email account multiple times, then the incoming data will get synchronized again and again. It can also lead to duplicate emails messages in the Outlook mailbox.
- Improper Mailbox Setup: It can also be possible that you have incorrectly set your mailbox while creating an account. Therefore, you might be receiving the same email message, calendar, and contacts again and again.
- Due to Antivirus: In some cases, even an anti-virus installed on the system can intercept the Send/Receive process of Outlook.
All such reasons make users think twice about how to deal with these duplicates in Outlook. Thus, to make this task easier, multiple ways to remove duplicate emails from Outlook 2019 / 2016 / 2013 and the below versions are covered here.
Quick Tool Tip- Looking for a simple, reliable, and instant solution to deal with duplicate emails in Outlook? Try Professional Tool , it is totally safe and secure method to remove duplicate emails in Outlook PST/OST/BAK files
Free Tips to Deal With Duplicate Emails In Outlook
There are multiple ways to remove duplicate emails from Outlook. You can choose between them as per your cause of duplicates:
#Method 1: Check Account Settings
There might be a possibility that while configuring a PST file with Outlook, you have done it more than one time. In such case, multiple accounts are added to Outlook with the same PST file, which results in duplicates. Thus, to verify this, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Open MS Outlook and move to File → Info → Account Settings
2. An Account Settings window will open in front of you
3. Go to E-mail tab and look for the account name that you have configured Outlook. If it appears more than once, simply remove it
4. To do this, move cursor to the E-mail account and click on the Remove button from the top
5. After following click on the Close button
#Method 2: Remove Duplicate Emails from Outlook Via Import/ Export
With the help of Import/Export feature, you can also remove duplicate email messages in Outlook. Follow the steps mentioned below:
- Open Microsoft Outlook and navigate to File → Open & Export → Import/Export option
2. In Import and Export Wizard window, choose Import from another Program or file option and click on the Next button
3. Now, choose Outlook Data File (.pst) on Import a file window and click on the Next button
4. On Import Outlook Data File window, simply Browse the .pst file and check Do not import duplicates option → Next button
5. At last, choose Outlook Data File to export complete data and then on Finish button.
#Method 3: Try Clean Up Tool of Outlook to Remove Duplicate Emails from Outlook
Microsoft Outlook has one Clean Up Tool that let you delete duplicated items from Outlook PST file. To use it in a proper way, follow the steps mentioned below:
- First of all, open MS Outlook application
- Then, click on the Clean Up tool from the ribbon bar and expand all the options.
- As you expand it, three options will be displayed i.e., Clean Up Conversation, Clean Up Folders, Clean Up Folders & Subfolders
- Here, you have to choose Clean Up Folders & Subfolders option
- Now, a Clean Up Folder dialog box will pop up, asking you whether to proceed with clean up or cancel? Simply, click on the Clean Up Folder option
- After that, click on the Settings option to enter Deleted Items folder location manually
- As you click on the Settings, an Outlook Options window will open. Click on the Browse button to add PST file
- Now, the Select Folder pop-up will appear in front of you. Choose Deleted Items → OK button
- Finally, click on the Clean Up Folder option to eliminate duplicate emails from the mailbox of Outlook.
Drawbacks of the Manual Method
All the above-discussed manual solutions are useful only when there is a small size PST file containing only hundreds of emails. But, if you have large number of emails in Outlook, you might face the following limitations while using manuals.
- Unable to identify the exact number of duplicates in Outlook mailbox. So, locating and removing duplicate emails from Outlook via manual solution will not be an option.
- Clean Up tool starts generating error messages like “No messages were cleaned up. Only messages that satisfy your clean up settings will be moved to the trash folder.” during the duplicate removal process.
Remove Duplicate Emails from MS Outlook Professionally
If a user is looking for a simple solution or wants to avoid the manual solution limitations, go for the professional solution. Outlook Duplicate Remover is one such application that can help you remove duplicate email messages in Outlook.
The software is designed by keeping all requirements of users in mind. One can find and remove duplicate email messages in Outlook by matching particular attributes. For example, subject, to, cc, from, etc. In addition, a user can also delete duplicates from multiple PST files in bulk via Add Folder option. It can be treated as one-stop solution to fulfill all basic requirements of users.
Working of Tool
- Download and Install the tool on the local machine.
- Upload PST file(s) by clicking on “Add File(s)” or “Add Folder” button.
- Choose between the two options to delete duplicate: Within or Across Folder.
- Click Change to choose the location to save the resultant PST file.
- Choose data items, i.e., Emails, Contacts, Calendars, Journals, Tasks, and Notes to remove duplicates.
- Now, Choose Specify Duplicate Criteria option to specify properties or fields to remove duplicates.
- The following message appears after process completion. And you are done with the process of removing duplicate emails from Outlook.
Time to Wrap Up
Handling duplicates is one of the difficult tasks faced by users. Thus, to make this task easier for the users, multiple ways to remove duplicate emails from Outlook 2019 / 2016 / 2013 /2010 PST files are discussed above. This blog will cover all manual and professional solutions for the user. A user can pick between them as per his or her requirement.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you want to remove duplicates in Outlook 2016 and other versions either Run Inbox Clean Up tool or take help of some third-party tool
Yes, with the help of Outlook Duplicate Remover, you can delete duplicate emails with the same subject and many other emails fields.
There are several reasons behind this:
Rules are not configured properly
Due to antivirus
The short interval for Send/ Receive
Incorrect account setup, etc.
Storage space issue
Start creating confusion
Management of emails becomes difficult
Slow performance of Outlook