The Messaging Interface Has Returned an Unknown Error in Outlook
Whenever any type of error is encountered the situation becomes worse and the work is also affected. Nowadays, most of the people use email clients for various purposes such as communication, managing data etc. One of the most commonly used email clients is Outlook. It is a personal information manager that manages email, calendars, contacts in an efficient way.
Outlook is basically a component of Microsoft Office Suite. It is an efficient and reliable email client but it is also prone to various errors. One of the most common errors faced by Outlook users is ‘ the messaging interface has returned an unknown error. if the problem persists restart outlook” This type of error can also lead to data loss issues if not resolved.
Therefore, in the section given below, we are going to introduce some simple yet trustworthy methods using which the users can easily resolve ‘the messaging interface has returned an unknown error’.
Methods to Troubleshoot ‘ The Messaging Interface has Returned an Unknown Error ’
In Outlook 2021, 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, ‘the messaging interface has returned an unknown error’ encounters when the user tries to delete email messages. This error can also lead to corruption of Outlook PST data files. If the error is not resolved then the user has to face data loss issues. Therefore, we are going to discuss some methods using which the user can easily fix this error.
the messaging interface has returned an unknown error. if the problem persists restart outlook
Method-1: Empty the Deleted Items Folder
One of the easiest ways to fix ‘ the messaging interface has returned an unknown error’ is to empty the Deleted Items folder and then try to delete the message again. To empty the Deleted Items folder, you just have to right click on the Deleted Items folder and then select the Empty folder. The user can also try to hard delete the message by pressing Shift + Delete button.
Method-2: Edit the Message
The user can also try to edit the message and then save it. This trick can reset a particular corruption of the message. After this, the user will be able to remove the message normally.
1. Open the message and then place the message in Edit mode
- In Outlook 2003 and previous version: Choose Edit > Then Edit the message
- In Outlook 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016: Go to Actions > Edit Message
2. Now, type or remove some characters and then Save
3. Close the message and try to delete the message again
Method-3: Create a New Outlook Profile
Create a new Outlook profile and check whether the error is resolved or not. To create a new Outlook profile, follow the steps given below:
1. First, you have to exit Outlook and then go to Start and then click on Settings
2. Now, you have to click on the Control Panel
3. After that, you have to double-click on Mail and then click on Show Profiles > Add
4. Choose the services which you want and then click on the Next button
5. You have to provide all the required information related to the services selected on the Inbox Setup Wizard
6. When prompted to enter the path of the PST files, you have to type new and then click on the Next button. After that, complete the steps in Inbox Setup Wizard
7. Now, go to General tab and when you are starting Microsoft Windows Messaging then you have to use this profile box
8. Select the newly created profile and then click on Close
9. Finally, open Outlook and try to delete the message
Method 4: Repair The Corrupted File
If the user is not able to fix the issue then this could be caused due to the corruption in the PST file. Now, to resolve this issue, the user has to run scanpst.exec. The user can repair PST files by following the steps given below:
You can use the application suggested below for a quick expert solution to fix PST file corruption issue. SysTools’ Outlook PST Recovery allows you to fix your highly corrupted PST file in a few easy steps. For additional details, refer to the instructions and screenshots.
Step-1: Locate Default PST File
- In Control Panel, you have to open Mail
- Then, click on the Show Profiles
- Now, you have to select the Outlook profile that experiences the issue
- After that, click Properties > Data Files
- Now, remember or note the location and name of the default PST file
Step-2: Run Outlook Inbox Repair Tool /SCANPST.exe
- First, you have to exit Outlook
- Now, open the Inbox Repair Tool
- In Enter the name of the file you want to scan box, type the location of the PST file which you noted in Step1
- Finally, click on Start
After performing all the step in an accurate way, your data file will be repaired. Now, you will be able to delete the message.
Outlook is one of the frequently used email clients. Outlook manages all the data in an efficient way. However, users face different issues while working with 2021, 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003. One of the most commonly encountered error is ‘the messaging interface has returned an unknown error. if the problem persists restart outlook’. Therefore, in the above section, we have explained some methods using which the users can easily eliminate this error.