Quick Methods to Reduce PST File Size in Outlook to Avoid Oversized PST Error
Nowadays, multiple email clients are used by the users for communication purpose and email management. One of the most frequently used email client used by the users is Outlook. It is integrated with advanced features and functionality which makes it the best pick among the users. Outlook stores data in PST file format. However, the Outlook users face multiple issues when they are not able to manage large PST files. Sometimes, they also have to face data loss problems. Therefore, in this write-up, we are going to introduce multiple ways using which the users can reduce PST file size in a hassle-free way without any data loss.
Issues Faced by the Users due to Large Outlook PST Files
- Data loss due to large PST file: When the data reaches to the allocated file size of the PST file then there are maximum chances of PST file corruption. If the PST files are corrupted then it can also lead to data loss issue.
- Degradation in Outlook performance: The speed and efficiency of the Outlook is affected due to the large PST files.
- Not able to sort data coherently: In Outlook, the complete data is stored in one single PST file. Thus, the user is not able to sort the data according to the specific folder or year wise.
- Solution to Fix Issues due to Large PST Files: The user can eliminate all the issues that encounter due to large PST files by splitting large PST file into smaller ones with Split Outlook PST File Tool. This will help the user to manage oversized PST files easily.
Quick Methods to Reduce PST File Size in Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007
There are multiple methods using which the user can separate PST file. Some of the methods are explained below using which the user can reduce PST file size in an easy manner.
Method 1: Import and Export Technique to Reduce Size of Mailbox in Outlook
- First, open MS Outlook on your local machine
- Now, in the Menu go to File > Account Settings > Select Account Setting
- A dialog box will appear, here you have to select Data Files tab > Add button
- In New Outlook Data File dialog box, select Outlook Data File(.pst) and then click on the OK button to create new PST file in the configured system
- After that, the user can easily view the new PST file in the Data Files tab
- Now, again go to File > Open > Import. The Import and Export Wizard will appear
- Here, you have to select the Export option and then click on the Next button
- Select Outlook Data File (.pst) and then click on the Next button
- Now, in the Export Outlook Data File dialog box, you have to select the desired folder item to Export. To select the subfolder, check the Include SubFolder option
- Go to the location where new PST file is created to save the Exported File data and then click on the Finish button.
- You can also protect data by setting up a password. As per your need, you can set the password for the file or cancel it
- Now, a new PST file is created which the user can easily view in Outlook
Method 2: Move Folder Technique to Reduce Size of Outlook PST File
By creating local new folder and then move data from inbox to newly created will help to reduce PST file size in an efficient manner. Follow below mentioned steps to manage large Outlook PST file.
- First of all, open MS Outlook on your local machine
- Navigate to File > New > Outlook Data File
- A dialog box will appear, here you have to select PST file and then click on the OK button
- Create Microsoft Personal Folder dialog box will appear. Insert the name of this new PST file
- Now, select the one or more folder which you want to transfer to the new PST file
- Go to Edit Menu > click Move to Folder option
- A Move items dialog box will appear. Click on the New button
- Create New Folder window will appear. After that, name the folder
- Now, on Select where to place the folder option, select new PST file > click on the OK button
- Move the item of new PST in the newly created folder and then click on the OK button
Quick Info: Try Outlook Toolkit – All in One Solutions to Manage Outlook Data Files
Method 3: Archive Technique to Reduce PST File Size in Outlook 2016/2013/2010
- Start MS Outlook on your system
- Select the PST file which you want to move to new PST file
- Click on the File tab > select Archive
- Now, a dialog box will appear, here you have to check Archive this folder and all subfolders option
- After that, you have to select the folders from the list, which you want to move
- The Archive items older than option will appear. Now, select any data according to your requirements from the calendar
- Browse the location to save new PST file, name it and then click on the OK button
Outlook is an efficient and reliable email client. However, sometimes Outlook users have to face issues related to PST files. Large PST file leads to multiple issues which can also cause data loss problems. Therefore, it becomes important to divide PST file in Outlook 2016/13/10/07/03. Moreover, it becomes easy for the users to manage small data files. Thus, in the above section, we have explained some reliable methods using which the users can separate PST in Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 in a hassle-free