What is OneDrive? - Get Complete Information
At the previous time, OneDrive was called SkyDrive, Windows Live SkyDrive, and Windows Live Folders. It is an online cloud storage product of Microsoft. OneDrive provides their users to store, sync and share all kinds of files and information with other people and other devices on the Web. However, it is integrated with MS Office suite, so users can easily access Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents in OneDrive. The system also allows to create folders, share folders, edit Office documents and edit documents in browsers. OneDrive gives the facilities of Facebook integration, automatic camera roll backup and the ability for users to email slide shows. By following this article, you can get complete idea of what is OneDrive and how to use OneDrive. One can also use OneDrive Migrator to transfer files & documents from OneDrive to OneDrive for business Account.
Moreover, for enterprise customers, Microsoft also offers OneDrive for business which was previously called SkyDrive Pro. It is a standalone service separated from Office 365 but along with Office Online. In OneDrive for business, users get 25 GB storage space and can purchase more space according to their need.
What Does OneDrive Provide in Terms of Storage?
We have already discussed so many features of OneDrive in the above section. Right now, we are discussing the storage capacity of OneDrive. OneDrive is capable to store 5GB data free. But, old OneDrive users can claim up to 15 GB storage or even 25 GB free storage.
There are few ways mentioned below which can help to add more free space to your OneDrive:
- Get free space as the Surface bonus after buying Microsoft surface device.
- Get Camera roll bonus for taking automatic backup of your photos.
- Receive more free storage capacity as the Loyalty bonus for old users.
- Get more storage as Referral bonus for every friend that you refer.
- Get extra free storage as Enthusiast bonus for doing multiple things.
- Receive more free storage space after Office 365 subscription.
If a user needs to buy more additional storage space, then, OneDrive offers a few storage plan which is explained below:
- Basic OneDrive – 50GB for $1.99/month
- OneDrive + Office 365 for 1 user – 1 TB for $6.99/month. (This plan has a full license for Office 365)
- OneDrive + Office 365 for 5 users – 1 TB for $9.99/month. (This plan has a full license for Office 365, which can be installed and used by up to 5 users at one time)
How Does A User Access the OneDrive?
OneDrive can be accessed by many devices such as Windows computers and tablets, Macs, Android smartphones, iPhones, Windows phones and Xbox consoles and it is built into Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. If OneDrive application is not available on your device, then use web browsers to access it independently.
To access the OneDrive, perform these step by step procedures:
- First of all, open Browser and go to the OneDrive websites. Then, enter your Microsoft account credentials such as username and password to sign in
- Now, after signed in, you can view all the files that you have accessed in the cloud & you can open them directly from the browser
- If you have Windows 10 platform, then you should know that you can pin the OneDrive sites to the Start menu for faster access.
- Online collaboration & sharing files are the most important features provided by the OneDrive. It allow users to collaborate documents of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote with others.
- A user can easily create documents from the web browser to access the Microsoft Office Online. It offers you to access the basic editing applications that are used while creating most of the documents.
- Microsoft allows you to create documents in MS Office 2010, 2013, or 2016 and save them directly into OneDrive.
- If you are still unable to create documents, then you can create documents in any Office suite and upload them to OneDrive.
- Sharing documents and collaborating while using OneDrive is very easy: click on the Share button on the top toolbar & select the sharing method that you want.
All three have very good application integrations to provide productivity and collaboration and all give strong platform support, device sync and file sharing facilities. So, it is difficult to select one of these. Therefore, we decided to compare all three, which can help you to choose one according to your specific needs.
- Dropbox gives only 2GB free space and it has only one personal plan option, that is 1 TB for $9.99 per month. Also, Dropbox does not provide the flexibility with other services.
- Moving forward, Google Drive offers more subscription plans i.e 100 GB to 30 TB. But it takes higher cost which cannot be afforded by every person.
- However, OneDrive offers you 1 TB storage space in less money than Google Drive. Moreover, you can get 1 TB space for five users at the same price $9.99 per month as the single user of Google Drive.
As it is discussed, OneDrive is really a great service. It provides enough free storage capacity in the cloud for normal users and also offers the additional storage space at the reasonable cost for enterprise users. OneDrive can be used on the multiple devices without any hassle.