Tips to Break up Large PST File to Smaller Files That You Absolutely Can’t Miss!
This procedure is explained for the users who are annoyed due to the huge size of their Outlook data file resulting in the depletion of performance of Microsoft Outlook. Oversized Outlook PST file slows down the system performance and makes it hard to avoid PST corruption. Split PST file into smaller parts is needed to avoid the corruption in future. So it is better to break up large PST file of Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, and 2007 through the manual solution or the recommended professional solution.
We know that, many users are looking for an efficient solution on how to split PST file in Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010 etc. So, using this Split PST Tool users can easily split oversized PST file without any hassle. The software can break corrupted Outlook PST file without any compatibility issue.
4 Quick Steps to Split PST File into Smaller Parts
- Step 1. Download and Run the Tool.
- Step 2. Add PST Files/Folder(s) & Browse Destination.
- Step 3. Choose Desired Split Option (Split by Size, Folder, etc.).
- Step 4. Check Summary of Split & Click Next to Proceed.
Top Reasons to Break up Large PST File in Outlook 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019
MS Outlook stores emails and all other information in PST files and the size of PST files grow steadily. In general, there used to be a size limit imposed on PST files earlier. Thus in MS Outlook 2000 and 2002, the maximum size limit for PST was fixed to 2 GB only. In Outlook 2003 and 2007, it is 20GB while with the introduction of version 2010 and 2013 the limit was changed to 50GB+ expendable. Later on, the default PST file size limit is 50GB in Outlook 2016 which is expandable to 4 PB (4000 TB).
Therefore, if a user is currently working on MS Outlook 2002 which allows maximum storage of 2GB so there is a need for that user to split PST into smaller files at regular intervals. It is the same in the case of the 2003 and 2007 Outlook versions of the PST file which allows a maximum size to be 20 GB approach which leads to a performance issue in Outlook.
It is not an easy task to manage oversized Outlook PST files as it slows down the performance of MS Outlook. Thus, split Outlook PST file into smaller parts to avoid such type of issues in the future.
Sending/receiving operations on a large-sized PST file also turns into a time-consuming task. Therefore, it needs split large Outlook PST file into smaller files by using manual methods or by using the software.
Ways How to Split a PST file into Smaller Parts that You Never Thought Possible
There are 3 different techniques by which we can split large PST file of Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003 to smaller files. We will discuss each methodology one by one in ascending order of complexity.
Method 1: Data Archiving Technique to Reduce Outlook Mailbox Size
Data archiving is one of the important techniques that should follow to prevent the hijacking of valuable space by less usable data. In Outlook, we can do the same to empty the space consumed by less visible data. These steps can easily be applied to all Outlook versions. Follow these steps to perform the task to split oversized PST file:
Go to File Menu and select the PST file to break.
- Click on the Archive option from the File menu
- A dialogue box will pop up, Select the option to archive this folder and click all Subfolders, check the box, and then click a folder from the list.
- Click on a Date in the archive items older, then drop down.
- Click Browse and specify the Name and Path of your PST file.
- To change the display name, follow the following steps:-
- Right-click on the Archive Folder => Properties => Advanced => Enter the New Name in the Personal folder dialog box
- Now click on the Move to Folder option to move the files to the new PST files.
Method 2: Essential Tips on How to Split PST File in Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007
In this method, we will import or export Outlook data to break up large PST file. This method applies to all Outlook versions. Follow the below-mentioned steps to distinctly break Outlook archive PST file.
- Start Microsoft Outlook on your Windows operating system.
- In the navigation bar, click on File >> Account Setting >> Select Account Setting
- The dialog box open ups next, select Data Files tab and then click Add button.
- Then select Outlook Data File (.PST) and then, click on OK to create a new PST file.
- You can easily view the newly created Outlook data files in the Data Files tab.
- Now, import/export the data from existing PST file to newly created Outlook PST file. For this, click on File then, select Import. The Import/Export wizard appears.
- Choose the Export option and then click on the Next button.
- Select Outlook data file and then again click on the Next button.
- Now, you have to select desired folder items to export. If you want to select the subfolder too, then you have to check the Include Sub Folder option.
- Select the Location where you have the newly created PST file to export the selected data.
- Click on the Finish button. Now you have successfully broken PST file into smaller files.
Method 3: Most Effective Tactic to Break PST File in Outlook
This method includes the creation of a new folder and then completely migrating the data of the Outlook mailbox to this newly created folder. Follow the below-mentioned guidelines to effectively split large PST files of Outlook 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, and 2019.
- Start the Microsoft Outlook email client application on your system
- In the navigation bar and go to File then, New >> Outlook Data File
- A new dialog box appears, select PST File and click on the OK button
- Then again a new dialog box opens to Create New Folder. Give a name to this file
- Select the folder which you want to transfer to the newly created file
- Go to Edit Menu and click on Move to New Folder.
- Move items dialog opens up next. Click on the New button
- Create New Folder window appear next. Give a name to the folder.
- Next, select the location where you want to save the created folder. Select New PST file >> OK button.
- Move the items from the PST file to the newly created folder
- Click on the OK button to finish the splitting large PST file process.
By using these manual steps to split Outlook PST file into smaller parts, the process can be carried out, but we can’t split large Outlook PST file according to the customization in the required way. Thus, to perform such operations, we need professional software.
Best Tip Ever to Break Up PST File of Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007
So far we have discussed the top most manual solution to break up large PST file. But these methods have certain limitations. So, it is better to proceed with a safe and secure way to split PST file without Outlook by using Split PST Software.
- It can break PST file into smaller files without the loss of any data.
- Supports both ANSI and UNICODE file format.
- Users can make new folders to store the PST file if it is required.
- Software designed with a user-friendly interface that provides results in a few simple steps.
- Users can break up PST file of size 1 MB to 1 TB.
- Provides 6 Unique Ways to break up Outlook PST file –
- Break the PST File by date.
- Cut PST file by size.
- Break the PST file by year.
- Divide Large PST file by Folder (i.e. Contacts, Message, etc.)
- Separate Outlook PST by Email ID
- Truncate PST by different categories
How to Split a PST File into Smaller Parts Using the Professional Solution?
Step 1. Download and run the tool on your computer.
Step 2. Add PST files/folder(s) & browse Destination Path to save resultant files.
Step 3. Choose desired Split option (Split by Size, Folder, Date, Year, Email ID, and Category)
Step 4. Check the summary of Split Information & click Next to proceed.
Step 5. Now, the process to split PST into smaller files is completed.
Also Read: Reduce Large Outlook Mailbox Size
So far we have discussed the top tactics to break up large PST file of Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007. But the things you need to know before implementing these techniques to break PST file into smaller files. Create the backup of Outlook data files. Because if somehow, the data get deleted or corrupted then one can use this backup to restart the process. However, these techniques are totally proof of any type of error. But prevention is better than cure. If you have some doubts about the manual tips then you can go with professional software to split large PST file without Outlook. It diminishes all kinds of fear and issue regarding the safety of your mailbox data.
Frequent-Asked Questions by Users
Yes, you can divide corrupted Outlook PST files. But, there is no manual solution is available to do the same. In this situation, you have to choose the above-suggested third-party application. The tool has the ability to break up large PST file and encrypt Outlook data effortlessly.
In order to manage Outlook PST files, you have to split Outlook PST file into smaller parts. And to do so, you can follow the above-stated manual and automated techniques.
Yes, of course, the free technique has some restrictions which can affect the complete procedure. So, it is better to choose an automated approach to separate Outlook PST file without losing a bit of data.
Yes, the above-recommended software to split large Outlook PST file supports all versions of Outlook such as MS Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, and all below versions without any compatibility issues.