Please help me to import MBOX Files to Outlook 2016. I was trying to move my Business Account (email@example.com) into Outlook. I finally succeeded to generate some .mbox extension file using Google Takeout Option by Gmail but then Outlook 2016 did not have any such import option to migrate MBOX to Outlook.
“I am trying to import MBOX to Outlook 2013 from Mac OSX 10.10 . I badly need to import Inbox.mbox files to other computer which is having Outlook 2013. I couldn’t find a way to import Inbox emails into Outlook”
MBOX generally being upheld by different email customers like Thunderbird, Apple Mail, Eudora, Sea Monkey, Entourage, Netscape, and so on. But the vast majority of the organizations lean toward Mozilla Thunderbird since it is totally free of expense. The key factor is that we all look in any email application is its usage, reliability, and budget. But, the requirements of users have been changing with the time.
General MBOX clients are no match for Microsoft Outlook and its advanced features. So, we are witnessing a surge in users trying to import MBOX to Outlook since it offers many propelled highlights. But, the principle question is that how to do so without manipulating the data. So as to determine this issue faced by the user, let’s examine a dependable answer to import MBOX file into Outlook email client.
It does not matter, which email client create the MBOX files. The requirement to import MBOX File to Outlook may occur anytime and anywhere. Some of the reasons are discussed below:
In the corporate world where emails are the prime source of communication, there are situations when a user needs to import old MBOX files in Outlook.
If users want to switch their company that uses Entourage or Thunderbird and the new company works on Outlook platform. In this case, users have to find a way to import MBOX to Outlook.
Some users or organizations migrate their platform to Microsoft Outlook entirely based on the following benefits. If the source email client they use is an MBOX based email client, they also require such import solution.
The most important thing is that the Microsoft Outlook supports advanced features which are required in any organization.
Microsoft Outlook offers the anti-spam feature to prevent any spam emails.
Outlook also provides password protection service for encoding email items to secure emails from spammers & other hackers.
MS Outlook has a calendar option, which helps users to create notes, manage events, tasks, etc.
How to Import MBOX to Outlook 2016, 2019, 2013, 2010, 2007?
Note: Do note that due to lack of direct options in Outlook, this method requires external application such as Mozilla Thunderbird and a Gmail account for the process execution.
First, you have to add Gmail account to Mozilla Thunderbird using IMAP. Then, set up Microsoft Outlook in Gmail account. After doing both these processes, you can import MBOX file to Outlook.
This process is lengthy and time-consuming. A single meistake could lead to loss of important data. So pay close attention to the steps and opt for the next solution if you want to avoid such complications.
Step 1: Add Gmail Account to Mozilla Thunderbird
1. Go through the below-mentioned steps to setup Thunderbird with Gmail account:
First of all, enable the IMAP option in Gmail account after following these steps:
Log in your Gmail account.
Then, click on Gear icon & open the Gmail settings under the Gmail page.
After that, select options Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
Now, configure your IMAP account and click on the Save Changes option.
2. Now, install and run Thunderbird on your local machine. Then, enter the name, email address, and password to open Thunderbird account & click on Continue button.
3. Next, enable the IMAP checkbox and navigate to the manual configuration process.
4. Now, enter the necessary information in these sections:
Incoming: imap.gmail.com/Port: Either 993 (SSL) or 143 (very infrequently 585)
Outgoing: smtp.gmail.com / Port: Either 25 or 465 (SSL) (very infrequently 2525)
5. Then, click on the Re-test button.
6. If you have filled everything correctly, then, the task will finish completely. After that, choose to Create a new Account option.
7. Finally, you can verify your Gmail account from Thunderbird after open any email message.
8. Then simply drag & drop the emails of MBOX file into the Gmail INBOX to import MBOX file to Outlook via Gmail.
Step 2: Now Import MBOX to Outlook via Gmail
For this, you need to setup Microsoft Outlook to Gmail account. We are going to discuss step by step manual procedure. Follow these steps, which are mentioned below, to configure Outlook with a Gmail account:
1. First, go to the File menu and click on the Add Account. 2. Then, a dialog box will appear, from here select an option Manually configure server settings or additional server types & click on Next button. 3. Then, go to the Internet Email option & click on Next button. 4. Now, enter the name, email address, and password in the dialog box. 5. In Account Type, choose IMAP option for IMAP mail account. 6. For the Incoming server, type imap.gmail.com & for outgoing server, type smtp.gmail.com and click on the More Settings option. 7. In the Outgoing Server, navigate to select My Outgoing Server (SMTP), which requires Authentication. 8. After that, click on the Use Same Settings As My Incoming Server option & enter 993 port number under the Incoming Server Port. 9. In the next step, select the This Server Requires an Encrypted Connection option. For IMAP mail account, setting the type of encryption to SSL. 10. After that, under the outgoing server Port, type the value 587. Then, set the type of encryption to TLS & click on OK button to exit the dialog box. 11. Now, select the Test Account Setting option for checking the account settings. 12. You will receive a message like ‘your account settings are correct’. Then, click on the Next button to close the dialog box. 13. Finally, you will receive all the data in Outlook, within Gmail configured Profile.
(Note: This manual process only works when you have both Thunderbird & Outlook clients installed & configured via Gmail dummy account)
Effortless Way to Import MBOX File to Outlook
In either cases, when you have Thunderbird/ MBOX supported client installed, or orphan MBOX files, it is advised to use MBOX to Outlook converter tool. This software allows users to directly import MBOX file to Outlook regardless of its version. Besides this, it supports both bulk and selective emails migration. The tool can also import MBOX files in Outlook along with its associated attachments. Moreover, it will maintain its folder hierarchy and data integrity even after the conversion process.
Some suggested reviews by those who tried them :
Importing MBOX to Outlook with Software:
Step 1: Launch SysTools MBOX to PST converter tool.
Step 2: Choose ‘MBOX’ and select relevant files to import.
Step 3: Preview the scanned MBOX emails in tool’s interface.
Step 4: Click on ‘Export’ to convert MBOX to Outlook PST.
Catch-up with Video Tutorial Here :
Tip: For Mac User to Import MBOX to Outlook 2011, 2016 & 2019
You can import PST into Outlook for Mac version after conversion. This will enable you to access MBOX in Outlook 2011, 2016 & 2019. Alternatively, download the conversion software for Mac and perform the complete process on Mac itself.
Time to Wrap Up
In the past decade, MS Outlook has made a name for itself with its sleek UI and advanced functionalities. It is the de-facto email client for desktops and macs alike. Sometimes, users wish to access the most common file format used for mailbox storage i.e., MBOX files in Outlook. Although the reasons vary between the migration or specific needs of users, one thing remains certain – the need to import MBOX to Outlook.
We focused on this pain point of users through this article. The given manual method can be tricky for large mailbox data, therfore we also recommend users to opt for the automated solution. It is an efforless way to import MBOX files in Outlook without any hassle.
Some General User Queries:
Where can I find my MBOX files?
The location of MBOX files is dependent on the email client you are using. The default location of some popular applications are: #Thunderbird: C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\<Profile Name>\ #Mac Mail: ~/Library/Mail/V6 (or V2, V3, V4, V5) #The Bat: C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\The Bat mail\mail name #Eudora: C:\Documents and Settings\(user name)\Application data\Qualcomm\Eudora Folder #Entourage: C:\Users\user_name\Documents\Microsoft User Data\Office 2008 Identities\Main Identity
How can I import my emails from MBOX into Outlook?
You can follow the steps given in this article for importing the complete MBOX data into Microsoft Outlook.
Can I perform the process on my Mac system?
The only manual method that exists in such a situation is using IMAP. You can choose the third-party tool MAC MBOX Converter for a safe and fast process.
I have 7 big MBOX files. Can I import them in Outlook without corruption?
Yes, you can easily import the MBOX files into Microsoft Outlook irrespective of its size or number.
About The Author
Being a Chief Technical Operator, I am aware of the technicalities faced by the user while working with multiple technologies. So, through my blogs and articles, I love to help all the users who face various challenges while dealing with technology.