How to Fix Outlook Data File not Closed Properly? Prominent Guide
Outlook is prominently used email client these days. It mainly facilitates multiple and amazing functionalities to their users. Microsoft programmed Outlook application to manage a large number of email messages, calendar, contacts, task, journals etc. Basically, Outlook is the foremost email platform for professional or personal use. But, sometimes Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003 users face an issue i.e., “Outlook data file not closed properly. This file is being checked for problems.” Firstly, a user should have to know that, the Outlook creates and saves its mailbox data into PST file format. So, in this article, we are going to discuss the ways to solve Outlook PST errors effectively. Initially, go through the below outlined a user query to know more about the most popular user query ‘how to fix Outlook data file not closed properly error’ every time.
“When I open Outlook 2007, I am seeing an error every time saying that ‘the data file personal folders was not closed properly outlook 2007’. I think I need to check it. Outlook seems to open OK and everything seems fine, but I am getting that every time so something must be wrong somewhere. I want an appropriate solution to repair this error. Please provide me an alternate to do same. Any help would be appreciated. Thank in advance.”
Fix Outlook Data File not Closed Properly Error: Know Reason Before
This error is mainly caused in Outlook 2007 usually when Outlook data file header is corrupted and damaged in any activities. Other basic factors that cause this error in MS Outlook 2007 data file are:
- MS Outlook data file cannot be closed if it is already opened by several programs
- When some other programs trying to associate with Outlook application
- If the Outlook PST file become corrupted/damaged and restrict from closing Outlook
- When different Add-Ins are checked in Outlook program
Solve: MS Outlook 2007 Data File not Closed Properly Error Manually
A Microsoft Outlook user can repair this error manually. This manual solution is divided into the main 5 workarounds. You can select any one of them as per your need. We discuss all the workarounds to fix Outlook data file not closed properly in Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, 2000. You just need to follow all the described steps in a sequenced manner to get the better outcome.
Workaround 1: Using Task Manager to Close Outlook Data File Properly Every Time
Most of the times, when you exit Outlook application it does not get closed and still kept open in the background by some another procedure. In that condition, you can use an option to Task manager for navigating all the processes. Where Outlook is open already to check this follow the steps as outlined below:
- Firstly, right-click on the “Task Bar” located at bottom of your local machine and then, select “Start Task Manager” as an option
- Then hit on “Processes” after that “OUTLOOK.EXE” as an option to proceed forward
- Lastly, select the “End Process” button to end up the procedure
Workaround 2: Disable all Unwanted Add-Ins from Outlook
Add-Ins might be the reason for Microsoft Outlook did not close properly error. To repair the issue, you have to uncheck all unwanted Add-Ins that are checked in Outlook, follow the below steps:
- Initially, start MS Outlook application and hit on “File” then choose “Options” as an option after that click “Add-Ins”
- In this step, navigate to “COM Add-ins” option and select “Go”
- At the final step, unmark all available Add-Ins that are already checked and choose “OK” button
Workaround 3: Using “regedit.exe” Command
Changing Registry key with the help of this regedit.exe command. Might help you to solve or fix Outlook data file not closed properly error. But, editing registry needs more technical knowledge. So, this is not advised if you do not have much knowledge about Windows Registry.
- At the first step, go to the “Start” button and type “Run” in the search field. After that, you have to type “regedit.exe” in the Run dialog box
- Here, in Registry Editor, navigate to this path:
- Now, you have to choose numerical subkey and then, enter DWORD value`
- RequireShutdownNotification in this subkey.
- Right-click on a precise value in the details pane and then hit on “Modify” as an option to proceed forward.
- Finally, in the “Value Data” box, add the digit 1.
Workaround 4: With Inbox Repair Tool to Scan PST if it’s Corrupted
When MS Outlook PST file becomes damaged or corrupted, users should repair inaccessible or damaged personal folder data file. The in-built tool helps to fix those damaged data files. Follow below-listed steps for running SCANPST.exe utility:
- First, you have to find the location of SCANPST.exe and double-click to run Inbox Repair Tool.
- Then, opt the Outlook PST file for scanning procedure after that “Start”.
- As per the Outlook version, you can navigate the location of SCANPST.exe utility. Simply follow the below-outlined paths:
- Outlook 2016: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16\
- Outlook 2013: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\
- Outlook 2010: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\
- Outlook 2007: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\
- Outlook 2003: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\
Workaround 5: Repair Program Integration Problem
There are several alternatives that can be associated with Outlook and able to restrict MS Outlook email applications from closing but users are unable to review the extract program that is trying to hinder Microsoft Outlook from closing. When the ‘Microsoft Outlook data file not closed properly. This file is being checked for problems’ error occurs, then the user can try disabling all programs given below.
Below is the list of Programs that cooperates with Outlook application and prevent from closing: disable all of these programs.
- Spam email removal software like Spamihilator, SPAMfighter Pro.
- File synchronization utility (iTunes, Goodsync).
- Anti-virus tools (Mcafee, Bitdefender, Avast) these are some virus scanners that interact with Outlook.
- Fax software containing metrofax, PamFax, maxemail, and so on.
- Skype (View >> Show MS Outlook Contacts).
- Sidebar Outlook: It is the Windows gadget (Vista and Windows 7) that helps to manage Outlook inbox with the sidebar.
Professional Way to Fix Outlook Data Corruption
The user can choose the manual solution to fix Outlook data file not closed properly. But, this approach has some drawbacks that affect the procedure directly. So, we come up with an alternate method to fix the same issue. This is a third-party tool such as SysTools Outlook Recovery Software. With the help of this utility, you can easily and instantly repair the corruption without any hindrance. In fact, this is one of the best alternative for ScanPST, by using this tool you can easily repair Outlook PST files without ScanPST. This software is equipped with advanced technology that it is capable to recover hard and permanently deleted data. The facilitates an understandable interface, that even non-technical users can also work with it without taking expert help.
In this article, we have discussed two approaches to fix Outlook data file not closed properly. The user can choose any one either manual or professional. Both the methods are described in an effective manner. But, the manual approach has some disadvantages so, we advised to opt for an automated tool i.e., Outlook Recovery. Using this recovery application you can easily fix the issue within a few minutes.