How to Migrate User Settings from Windows 7 to Windows 10?
According to the recent survey, the conventional support for Windows 7 ended in January 2015 and Microsoft planned to stop the extended support of Windows 7 OS in January 2020. Therefore, Windows 7 users require an updated operating system for moving on. In this situation, Windows 10 can be their destination. However, when it comes to migrating user settings Windows 7 to Windows 10, never think it is wrong a step. As all the settings of the user’s account in Windows 7 will change after migration. So, most of the time people do not want to change or modify it. So, they need a solution to transfer the user’s settings also. Thus, in this blog, we will tell you the process to in detail to perform Windows 7 transfer user settings to Windows 10.
Need to Transfer User Settings from Windows 7 to Windows 10
Nowadays, there are millions of active users who work on the Windows operating system. As it is known Microsoft has announced to stop the support of Windows 7. Hence, they need an alternative platform in spite of Windows 7 to continue their work. Hence, they prefer to use Windows 10 because it provides many advanced features. But, they are in the habit of working with the Windows 7 and their user interface. However, the interface of Windows 10 is different from Windows 7 that may create problem while accessing. Hence, people want to migrate all user settings along with their profile and data from Win 7 to Win 10.
How to Migrate User Settings Windows 7 to Windows 10?
There are a number of ways to copy the user settings and profiles of Windows 7 and transfer it into the Windows 10. The modern and effective way to transfer user settings from Windows 7 to Windows 10 is by using the SysTools Windows user Migration tool. It is the best application that can easily migrate all the user settings like control panel settings, registry settings, Windows Explorer settings, mapped network drives settings, desktop, taskbar and quick launch settings. Apart from this, the tool facilities to transfer the browser, email-clients, Microsoft Office and Adobe applications settings from Win 7 to Win 10. Along with Windows 7, the software is also compatible to export user settings of Windows 8, 8.1, 10 to Windows 10.
“I want to Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. But, I need to work on the same settings that exist in the Windows 7. Thus, I am searching for a solution to move the user settings along with the data from Windows 7 to the latest Windows 10. Then, one of my friends suggests me to use Windows easy transfer. It is the inbuilt utility that does not require any backup of data. But, the problem is that I am not much familiar with this utility in Windows. Can anyone please guide me how to use Windows easy transfer tool to migrate user settings Windows 7 to Windows 10?”
Use Built-in Windows Easy Transfer Tool for User Settings Migration
If you have decided to use the Windows Easy Transfer inbuilt utility to move the user settings of Windows 7 to latest Windows 10, then you can find here the detailed steps for the migration:
- First of all, download the Windows Easy Transfer and run it on both the computers that having Windows 7 and Windows 10.
- After that, plug in the Windows transfer cable into the free USB port on each of the systems.
- Now, open the Windows Easy Transfer tool and click on the Next button.
- Go to the new computer and select whether it is a new system or old computer.
- Now, it will ask you to install the Windows Easy Transfer on your old computer. Then, select either “I already installed it on my old computer” or “My old computer is running Windows 7.”
- In this step, the Windows Easy Transfer tool will connect your both old and new computers. Now, you can choose the user settings that you want to transfer from Windows 7 to Win 10.
- Further, select the “Advanced” option to choose some specific files or settings to transfer rather than the whole folder.
- Again go to the main window and click on the “Advanced Options”. It allows you to decide whether you want to migrate the whole user account along with their files and settings from Win 7 to Win 10 or some selective user settings.
- After choosing the necessary user settings from Windows 7, finally, click on the “Transfer” button. Wait a while and the Windows Easy Transfer utility will successfully migrate user settings Windows 7 to Windows 10.
“I want to transfer user settings from Windows 7 to Windows 10 machine but Easy Windows Transfer utility is not available in Windows 10. Also, I do not want to spend money on licensed solutions. In this situation, I found a few sources that indicated the copying of the wizard folder to the Windows 10 machine but for me, it still didn’t work. This includes information on how to resolve a transfer failure due to temporary profiles.”
- At first, copy the entire MIGWIZ folder from the old Windows 7 machine to the desktop of the new Windows 10 system
- Make sure that your old computer does not have any temporary profiles. If they have the temp file, then you need to remove this. To fix this, go to the registry and ensure you have no duplicate profiles.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Profile List
- Now, run the Easy Windows Transfer on the old machine.
- In the MIGWIZ folder, run the MigSetup.exe file to start the wizard on the Windows 10.
Windows 10 is the newest version of the Windows that offers various advanced and amazing features. Thus, Windows 7 users need to upgrade to the latest version. However, during this procedure, people also want to Migrate User Settings Windows 7 to Windows 10. Hence, in this post, we have covered the all necessary workarounds for this.