How to Perform Data Migration from On Premise to Cloud Effortlessly?
This guide is for Admins who are looking for ways to perform data migration from on premise to cloud platforms. Here, we will talk about challenges faced during on-premise to cloud migration, benefits, strategy & tools for your need. This is to provide a proper walkthrough to plan and execute the migration without any hassle.
Recently, many organizations started migrating over the cloud platform to increase their business across the globe. Switching business over the cloud, allows them to spread their business and also allows their employees to access their accounts from anywhere and anytime. Moreover, it also removes the hassle of managing large storage servers.
Why It is Necessary to Perform Data Migration from On Premise to Cloud?
Before proceeding, to know about the method to migrate data from on-premise to cloud platform, you should also know cloud vs on-premises differences. This is to ensure that migration to the cloud is the right choice for you.
After the birth of Cloud technology, most organizations started migrating to it. It’s all because of its features and functionality. Also due to the fact that you can access data over the cloud platform from anywhere and anytime using the internet.
A recent study says, by the end of 2021, more than 1/3 of the data will pass through the cloud. It will make more than 70% of business online. So, it’s better to learn how to swim today than to sink in the future.
Also Read: How to Move Outlook PST Data File to Cloud: A Step-Wise Guide
11 Benefits of Migrating Data to Cloud
If you still have the question what benefits you get over the cloud? The following are a few of them:
- Easy Access to data anytime
- Modernizing IT base
- Unlimited Storage Space
- Future need Planning
- Data loss is almost negligible
- Easy to Share important data
- Low infrastructure cost
- Less maintenance cost
- Disaster Recovery
- Increases Business Agility
Best Way to Migrate Data from On-Premise to Cloud Platform
There are multiple cloud platforms (Google, Office 365, etc) and multiple on-premises environments (Exchange Server, Lotus Notes) in the market. Therefore, there are different on-premise to cloud migration strategies for each of them.
No matter whether you want to migrate your data from Lotus Notes or Exchange server environment, the SysTools Cloud Migration Tool will assist you in easily transferring emails, contacts, and calendars data to the desired cloud platform.
Tips: For migration of local storage data to the cloud, use SysTools File System Migration Tool. This utility can migrate all types of system files directly into the cloud storage account.
Steps for Data Migration from On Premise to Cloud Platform:
1. Use the below Download button to get the setup file and launch it on your system.
2. Click the “Activate” button for activation of the DEMO or FULL version of the tool.
3. To set up the Migration Configuration, select the on-premises source and destination cloud platform.
4. From the workload section, select the Category of data to migrate from on-prem to Cloud.
5. Visit the Source tab to provide the details of the On-Premises environment (To know about the required details, click on Project Settings). Once all the fields are filled, click on Validate button to authenticate the entered details.
6. In the destination tab, provide the Admin Id and fill in other details of your new Cloud platform (click on the Project Settings button to know about other fields’ values). Once all the details are entered, click on Validate button to authenticate and enter the details of the destination cloud suite.
7. Now navigate to the User tab to choose the option for source and destination account mapping.
8. Once the mapping is finished, click on the Validate button for the authentication of entered user accounts.
9. Finally, click on the Start Migration button to initiate the migration scenario.
10. During the migration you can preview the ongoing migration and once finished tool will offer the Download Report button to get a detailed and summary report.
Note: The above-explained method is the best on-premise to cloud migration strategy. This method is far better than the traditional data migration tools, due to its advanced filter options.
Benefits of Using Automated Tools Over Manual Approach:
1. Migrate all types of data to cloud storage
2. Capable to transfer complete drive data
3. Maintains data integrity and folder hierarchy
4. Multiple filter options to migrate selective data to the cloud
5. Move hidden files and folders using this software
6. Generates complete migration report
What are the Challenges During Migration?
There are no problems or disadvantages to using an automated tool for migration. Just, the project creation steps require a little bit of your time (creation steps are quite easy for that PDF is available inside the tool).
Whereas, if you are migrating on-premise data over the cloud platform manually there are possibilities of various cloud migration challenges faced by users.
6 Challenges Faced While Migrating from On-Premise to Cloud Using the Manual Method:
- Cannot migrate data of a particular date to cloud storage
- Users cannot upload hidden files/folders
- No option to migrate only selective file types from the folder
- Cannot transfer files of particular size limit
- Didn’t create the report for the migration
- Perform the same procedure for migration of data into multiple accounts
In this guide, we have tried to explain “how to migrate data from on-premise to cloud platform”. This guide explains the best method for migration and the benefits of Online storage. The software explained in the blog is the tool that will help you while migrating on-prem data to the desired cloud storage platform. In case you are opting for the manual solution then read the challenges mentioned above.