How to Export Gmail Emails into MBOX File Stepwise | Quick Guide
Query: I want to import Gmail account emails into Mozilla Thunderbird. As I know that Gmail export its data in MBOX format and Thunderbird supports MBOX file. But, I don’t know the exact procedure to export Gmail emails to MBOX file. So, how Can I transfer my Gmail emails to required format.
Solution: There are 2 solutions for exporting Gmail account emails to MBOX file format. First is SysTools Gmail Backup Tool and second is Google Takeaway or Takeout.
Let’s see the explanation of both methods one by one.
Solution 1: How to Export Gmail Emails into MBOX File by SysTools (Recommended)
Follow the below steps to transfer Gmail account data into MBOX format:
- Step 3: If you want to export complete Gmail account data into MBOX file, then select Email, Contacts, Calendar, and Document.
Note: If you want to transfer only Gmail emails to MBOX, then select Email option only.
- Step 4: Select the MBOX file format option.
- Step 5: Hit on Browse button to select the destination location.
- Step 6: Click on Apply Filter to transfer only selective Gmail data into the MBOX file.
- Step 7: Under Select Folder, you can choose which Gmail folder you want to export into MBOX format.
- Step 8: Go to Email Filter section, and select the time-interval to export only selective Gmail emails into MBOX.
- Step 9: Click on Start button to execute Gmail to MBOX conversion process.
- Step 10: Conversion process will start. The completion time depends on the size of Gmail data.
- Step 11: Successfully Exported Gmail Emails to MBOX file.
- Step 12: Location of Exported Gmail Data.
Now, import the downloaded MBOX file into Mozilla Thunderbird. To do so, click here.
Solution 2: How to Transfer Gmail Data to MBOX Using Google Takeaway (Free)
This Google Takeaway or Takeout is a free solution to export Gmail emails into MBOX file. In this solution, you have to sign in your Gmail account from which you want to export data and click on https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout
For executing the further steps please visit here: https://www.systoolsgroup.com/updates/google-takeout-to-outlook-pst/#export
As we have read 2 solutions to export Gmail to MBOX file format. The first solution is not free but it is the best solution for transferring Gmail emails into MBOX because it takes less time than Google Takeaway. Also, it provides a date filter option by which users can export selective data from Gmail account.
Google Takeaway or Takeout takes much time than SysTools Gmail Backup utility. Also, it does not provide date filter option and transfer only emails from Gmail account to MBOX format. So, all things are clear now. As a user, I would like to go with Solution 1 for conversion. You can decide as per your requirement.