Export Google Vault to Outlook PST Format
Google Vault does not allow exporting archived emails to Outlook PST format directly. To access your business emails with MS Outlook you have to first export them into MBOX format. This is because the MBOX file can be easily exported to PST format using a third-party email converter solution.
Before explaining how to export Google Vault to Outlook PST we are going to disclose few basic concepts related to this topic. So read the entire information carefully and get an exact solution for your queries related to the Google Apps Vault.
What About Google Vault?
Google Vault is an add-on, especially provided for Google Apps, that helps you; search, retain, archive, and export your organization’s email. Using this add-on you can search particular emails or export selected emails for your eDiscovery and compliance requirements. Google Apps Vault is completely web-based, so there is no requisite to install or maintain any other application in support of the tool. The Vault is not available for free, Google charge $5/month for 1 user.
Top Most Feature Provided by Google Apps Vault :
- Email and Chat Archiving: A user can customize retention rules to control, how long email messages & chats sustain, before they are removed permanently from user mailboxes.
- Drive File Search: This function lets you search Google drive results, including non-Google file types like: DOCX, PDF, JPG etc.
- Email Search: It is the most powerful function, and preferred by users for email investigations that allow searching emails of a particular email account, keyword, or date. Google Vault also supports Gmail specific, wildcard operators and Boolean searches.
- Export: It is the second most liked functions used by Vault users to export selected emails or archived emails to a separate file.
- Audit Reports: Use Vault audit reports to know about the activities that Vault users may have carried out during a specified time period.
How to Export Google Vault to Outlook PST?
The most-efficient and faster method for exporting Google vault emails is by using automated tool such as SysTools Google Vault Downloader. This utility is capable of exporting emails as well as documents from Google Vault in just few clicks. Moreover, during the export process, the tool provides multiple features such as category filters, date-range filters, quick user fetch options, etc.
Following are the step-by-step method to export vault emails into PST format:
- Download the tool from the below button and launch it on your machine
Download Tool Purchase Now
- Go to the Activation tab from the left-panel and enter the activation code of the tool, else skip to use the demo version.
- Next from the destination section, select the Outlook (PST) format.
- Go to workload section and select the category of items need to be exported.
- In the source tab, enter the Google Vault Admin Id, Application id & P12 file path. If you haven’t created the project yet, the click on Project Setting button in the tool window to get the steps. Click on Validate button for the authentication.
- In the destination tab, browse the location where you wish to save the exported vault emails and click on Validate button.
- Next, choose the option to enter the user id whose vault emails need to be exported. The tool provides two options: Fetch users, Import CSV.
- After successfully fetching the user, select the users whose data need to be exported, and apply priority.
- Finally, click on the Validate button for the authentication of user ids and then click on Start Download button.
Have You Already Archived Google Vault Data?
If a user deletes precious emails permanently by mistake, then it can be restored using Google Vault. Generally, deleted data can be recovered within 25 days (default retention period) of deletion, through the Google Admin Console. But once the retention period gets exceeded, the Gmail messages covered by the retention rule can be restored using the Vault.
Some users export Google vault emails into MBOX and they are left with a local file containing all the mailbox items which is incompatible with the Microsoft Outlook platform.
Suitable Way to Open and View Emails from Exported File
- Using Desktop Email Clients: MBOX is a reliable format to hold a number of emails and can be opened using; Mozilla Thunderbird, Entourage, Apple Mail, Eudora, etc.
- Export Google Vault to PST: It is the best solution if you want to view your Google Vault archive file with MS Outlook. Just export the file to Outlook PST file using a commercial MBOX to Outlook Converter Tool. It will simply move your entire emails to Outlook PST file, keeping their Metadata (to, cc, bcc, date, etc.) and attachments intact, throughout.
Conclusion: In this article, we have discussed all Google Apps Vault and how to use export its email. For MS Outlook users it is better to use the third party tool that further makes it possible for them to access exported Vault emails in MS Outlook. If you still have any confusion, please feel free to comment about the same, below and we will be there to answer all your concerns.