Windows Server Backup to Restore Exchange Database of 2010 / 2007 Environment
In this section, we use Windows Server backup to restore Exchange database of 2010/2007 and also find an alternative that helps when WSB failed in the recovery process.
Database corruption in Exchange Mailbox can happen without any prior notice. It does not matter how much precautions takes by administrators to manage corruption issue. For the Organizations, losing important data from Exchange is like a nightmare. However, many administrators maintain a backup of Exchange data, so that they can utilize it in case of data loss or corruption.
Windows Server Backup to Restore Exchange Database of 2010/2013/2016
With the help of Windows Server Backup (WSB) features in Windows Server allows an Exchange Administrator start process of Backup and Recovery from Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS)or vice versa. Before starting restoration procedure, we need to Import-Module of WSB via Exchange Management Shell.
For that Run PowerShell Command in Exchange Management Shell
C:/>Windows\systme32> Import-Module servermanager
C:/>Windows\systme32> Add-WindowsFeature backup
- Open Administrative Tool from Control Panel and select “Windows Server Backup”.
Steps to Restore Database of Exchange 2010 Using Windows Server Backup
In the following sections, the readers will know the steps required for recovery. All these steps performed in Exchange Server 2016. Now, users need to follow the instructions sequentially.
- Open Windows Server Backup and click on Local Backup.
- Click on Action tab that lies between the File and View. Next, choose ‘Recover…’ option from the drop-down menu.
- A Recovery Wizard appears on the screen, you need to perform either of the following:
- In such a situation, when the backup file is present on the local server, then you need to select ‘This Server (Name_of_Server)’ option and hit the Next button.
- If the backup is available on another Server or PC, then go with the option ‘A backup stored on another location’ and click Next. In the next Specify Location page, just either select the Remote shared folder or Local drives and press Next button.
Note: In case of Local drives, provide the drive and backup location. In the Remote shared folder, enter the UNC Path and then click Next.
- After that, select the Date & Time of Exchange backup that you wish to restore from the Select Backup Date page and click Next.
- Next, select the radio button corresponding to Applications from the Select Recovery Type page. Then, click on the Next button for further process.
- Now Select the Database File you want to recover again in Exchange Environment using Windows Server Backup.
- From the Specify Recovery Options page, you need to choose a location either Original Location or Another Location where you want to restore the data. Click Next.
- At last, review all the recovery settings, and then click on the Recover from Confirmation page.
- Once you initiate the recovery process, the Recovery Page shows the complete progress status of the procedure.
- Select Close after the completion of the recovery process.
But Sometimes, the process gets failed due to different reasons and database not restored in the desired Exchange Environment. In this situation either we try to find the root of the error and if still not able to find the cause and need to recover data from the backup, then we can use the alternative solution to restore Exchange 2010 database Windows Server backup.
Quick & Easy Way to Restore Exchange Data from Backup File
Due to error while using the Windows Server Backup, try an alternative solution offered by SysTools Exchange Restore Backup Tool to move backup EDB File mailboxes items into different Exchange environment support by it. With Software, restored multiple backup EDB File without losing data into user mailboxes.
Also, you can recover and repair Exchange mailbox as well as fix any corruption in the backup file with the advance Scanning option available in the utility. This option also recovers purged Exchange database mailboxes and data items from offline/dismounted EDB file.
Users can use this option to recover deleted mailbox after retention period. To know more, check the short guide of software, how it works while restoring Exchange database backup into another Exchange environment.
Note: First Needs to Install & Run Software, for that Download Utility from Above Button
- First, need to add the file to browse the backup file stored within the system. For that either try the select option to add directly file within the utility or use “Search” option to find the backup file
- As Software provides options to recover & repair EDB file from any kind of corruption issued with the input backup file, for that use either “Quick” and “Advanced” setting.
- With Windows Server, we can’t preview the database items such as “Inbox, Outlook, Sent items” But Software allows to view all the items as well as meta details related to each file.
- Now to restore exchange 2010 database without Windows Server Backup, just use the Export option of Software.
- Now provide the Right Credentials to access the Desired Exchange Environment, so the backup database can be move into desired mailboxes. Details such as Active Directory, Server IP, Exchange Version needed by software and enable the “Impersonation” features. According to the Database Size, Software restores Exchange database into the desired environment according to selected settings options.
- Now provide Mailbox Details to restore the information of Offline Exchange Database into to desired Exchange Mailbox.
- At last, just Open the Mailbox, where software moves complete database data.
It is good to keep a backup copy of the database and use it in case of any disaster. You can also check out some Exchange Server Disaster Recovery Plan and Tips that help out. With Windows Server backup to restore Exchange database of 2010 /2007 and above environment using the above steps. But sometimes the process of backup failed due to different reason such as location, empty mailbox issues. To avoid and dependency on Windows Server Backup, use automated solution offered by SysTools to restore exchange 2010 database without Windows Server Backup. Also, fix any corruption issues with the Exchange Database backup.