Complete Lotus Notes to Outlook Migration Plan For Error Free Results
IBM Lotus Notes was one of the mainstream email client application which enables the organizations for rapid creation of collaborative applications, databases communities and much more. With the passage of time, most of the companies looking forward to adapting modern technologies for superior growth and digital transformation. It is a positive move to migrate from Lotus Notes to other platforms which are more accessible and adaptable to modern-day business challenges. If your organization decided to switch from Lotus Notes, then you should know about the 5 step Lotus Notes to Outlook migration plan. In this post, we will discuss the complete plan to make the transition from Lotus Notes successful and error-free.
Migrate Lotus Notes to Outlook Purchase Now
Overview of 5 Step Lotus Notes to Outlook Migration Plan
It is a very painful situation to replace applications which are continuously serving for more than a decades. But it is the need of the hour, to remain in the competition. One cannot compete with outdated technologies. The plans include 5 steps to be performed prior to the IBM notes migration.
- Compatibility Check of Destination Application
- Perform Analysis of Data to Be Migrated
- Requirement of Lotus Notes User
- Migration Data Tenure
- Cost Estimation
We will discuss all the steps one by one in the later section. So be attentive and create your notes prior to migration from Lotus Notes
Step 1: Compatibility Check of Proposed Destination (Outlook) Application
The migration from Lotus Notes is the big decision. You should check whether the destination application is ready to adapt the Lotus Notes mailbox data with several listed requirements.
- Speed: Lotus notes somewhat better in delivering the best email communication experiences to its user. So this is one of the most recommendable features must be inherited features of the application.
- Usability: The user interface of the system should be ready to work without any prior training. The user must feel comfortable with the look and feel of the application proposed for migration.
- Cloud Readiness: Large number of organizations are adopting the cloud for better management of the data. The cloud-ready platform is the better choice which enables to move at ease from an on-premises server to cloud.
Step 2: Performing Analysis of Lotus Notes Mailbox Data
It is very tough tasks to perform the analysis of data prior to a final migration of data. You need to calculate data to be migrated. There might be a possibility that you may have multiple complex installations. The documentation of the data will be helpful while performing the migration. With this, you will have the complete estimation of data to be migrated. There are several applications are available for free which can help you with the estimation of the data to be migrated.
One such application is MONTI (Microsoft Online Notes Inspector). It developed by Microsoft to provide assistance to user in collecting specific data & information related to their Lotus Domino mailbox.
The MONTI application will provide information related Lotus Notes domino such as
- Directory information of each user
- The complete mailbox size excluding whitespace
- Overall size of calendar
- Total size of contacts
- Overall group items size
- Optional mail item size
You need to provide specific permissions to MONTI for best results without any interruption
- Access to all user accounts
- Reading permission to the Domino directory
- Permission to create replicas on Domino server
- Access to domino server via Console commands
- Reader access to all mailboxes to examined
- Lotus Notes & Domino support requirements
Step 3: Unseen Challenges Which Can Make Impact on IBM Notes Migration Process
In the above section we have calculated the size of the mailbox data and its count with the help of MONTI. Now we have to tackle the challenges which can be prove hurdle in the way to migrate from Lotus Notes.
It is the requirement of most users that the data remains as it while switching from Lotus Notes. Let’s discuss the most demanded requirement of Lotus Notes user.
- Folder Structure: It is the basic requirement of the user that data in the destination will follow the same folder structure as it is originally in the source mailbox. There should be no change in the folder hierarchy of folders.
- Meta-Properties: The metadata associated with emails, contacts, calendars, tasks, notes, journals should be preserve.
- Read / Unread: Most of the time, Lotus Notes user wants that read and unread of emails count should be properly maintained in the destination mailbox.
- Signature / Image: The signature associated with the each emails should be precisely preserved whether it is image or any HTML file.
- CN Value Customization: IBM notes follow different naming convention to save the email address associated with each email. So when the user get the mailbox items then it must be in proper SMTP format.
Step 4: Estimating the Tenure of IBM Lotus Notes Migration Plan
Now we are very much aware with the data size, mailbox count and the challenges which can interrupt the migration from Lotus Notes. Now we are heading with the time taken to complete migration project and how it impacts the productivity of the organization.
As we have a complete estimation of data size then we can calculate the time taken based on the speed of processing tool used for the migration process.
Note: As we need to perform the migration on live server then for sure, it will creates several problems. So the migration process must be performed during the non-business hours.
Step 5: The Cost Estimation of Overall Lotus Notes to Outlook Migration Plan
You cannot perform the migration manually. This is because Lotus Notes does not provide any direct approach to export data. The Lotus Notes to Outlook migration plan is incomplete without any professional tool. You need to take help of professional utility such as SysTools NSF to PST Converter which has the capability to overcome all the challenges associated with the migration plan. It is ready to use application which provides features such as
- Bulk Export Lotus Notes mailbox to Outlook with emails, contacts, tasks, notes, calendars etc.
- Translate Canonical Names to SMTP format
- Maintains Internet Header, HTML formatting and Doclinks as well.
- Create separate PST file for contacts (optional)
- Export selected folder or mailbox items to prevent data redundancy.
- Remove duplicate contacts prior to migration
- Supports Lotus Notes version 10.0, 9.0 and so on.
Apart from the software cost, you need to take help of Lotus Notes expert which can guide you for successful deployment of Lotus Notes in the Outlook environment without any data loss. If you already have the person who can handle the same then it is plus point. This will definitely save you a lot of money.
How to Migrate Lotus Notes to Outlook? Step by Step Guide
1. Download and Launch the “SysTools Export Notes” Software
2. Browse NSF File from Local System & Click “Browse” to Proceed
3. Now, Navigate and Select the Lotus Notes Contact File i.e. “names.nsf” by clicking on the “Browse” Button as Shown Below:
4. To Migrate the Selected Folder, Check the “Export Selected Folder” Option & Click the “Select Folder” Option
5. Option to “Map CN values with SMTP Address to Selected ‘names.nsf’ Files“
6. Next Screen is to Select the Categories which you want to Export. You can “Apply Filter” for each Category
7. Click the “Export” button to Start the Lotus Notes to Outlook Conversion Process
8. The “Export” Process will be Completed Successfully. Save the “Export Report“.
The Last Few Words
IBM Notes is the mainstream email client application which requires consistent monitoring and maintenance for smooth functioning which is the additional cost associated with the deployment of Lotus Notes in an enterprise. So, it is good to switch to other well-versed email client application i.e. Outlook. With the Lotus Notes to Outlook migration plan, one can easily perform the error-free migration of Lotus Notes mailboxes to the Outlook environment.
What are the Lotus Notes to Outlook Migration Prior Steps?
The IBM Notes migration strategy includes 5 steps to be performed prior:
1. Compatibility Check of Destination Application
2. Perform Analysis of Data to Be Migrated
3. The Requirement of Lotus Notes User
4. Migration Data Tenure
5. Cost Estimation
Why Outlook is Best Option in Comparison to Lotus Notes?
1. Speed: Lotus notes somewhat better in delivering the best email communication experiences to its user. So this is one of the most recommendable features must be inherited features of the application.
2. Usability: The user interface of the system should be ready to work without any prior training. The user must feel comfortable with the look and feel of the application proposed for migration.
3. Cloud Readiness: A large number of organizations are adopting the cloud for better management of the data. The cloud-ready platform is the better choice which enables to move at ease from an on-premises server to cloud.
What is MONTI?
One such application is MONTI (Microsoft Online Notes Inspector). It developed by Microsoft to provide assistance to a user in collecting specific data & information related to their Lotus Domino mailbox.
Why SysTools NSF to PST Converter is Best Migration Option?
You cannot perform the Lotus Notes to Outlook migration manually. You need to take help of professional software such as SysTools NSF to PST Converter. It provides bulk export Lotus Notes mailbox to Outlook PST format with emails, contacts, tasks, notes, calendars, etc.