Export Exchange 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 Mailbox to PST With & Without Exmerge
In this blog, we are going to explain step by step process to backup Exchange mailbox to PST from Exchange Server 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003. Additionally, along with the manual method, we will also introduce a smart and reliable software using which the user can export Exchange 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 Mailbox to PST in a hassle freeway.
Microsoft Exchange Server is a collaborative enterprise server application designed by Microsoft to run on Windows Server. The Exchange Mailbox database consists of email, calendars, contacts, journal etc. The data stored in Exchange is in EDB file format. On the other hand, Outlook is an email and task management application which is a part of Microsoft Office Suite.
It is a personal information manager which controls complete Outlook data including emails, calendar, tasks, contacts, journals etc. Sometimes, the user needs to export Exchange Mailboxes to Outlook PST Format. But it is a very complicated task as Microsoft Exchange stores mailbox items in EDB file format whereas MS Outlook client supports PST file format.
In this situation, user can use the advanced solution and manual method to import email messages from Exchange to Outlook. The user has to convert mailbox to PST from Exchange Server. The users can use the utility provided by Microsoft that is the ExMerge.exe tool as the manual solution to Export Exchange 2007 / 2003 Mailbox to PST.
But the professional solution provided by SysTools i.e. Exchange Export Tool allows users to export Exchange mailboxes from Live Exchange Server 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003 to Outlook PST file in a simplified way without any loss of data.
ExMerge Utility by Microsoft
The ExMerge utility is a freeware provided by Microsoft, which handles issues that occur in the Microsoft Exchange Server database. It also capable to extract mailboxes data from one Exchange server and then merge it into mailboxes of another Exchange server.
Moreover, with ExMerge utility, the user can copy the data from a source server & Export Exchange 2007 / 2003 Mailbox to PST. The ExMerge utility is supported by Microsoft Exchange 2000, 2003, 2007.
Some of the advantages associated with ExMerge utility are:
- The primary function of the ExMerge Tool is to take out the emails from Microsoft Exchange Server and save them into PST file format.
- ExMerge can be used for the single mailbox, multiple or all the mailboxes present in the MS Exchange Server.
- The tool helps the user to avoid exporting duplicate messages or content to the same PST file.
- One can also use this utility to back up a single mailbox instead of the complete data. It can be said that it is used as a ‘brick-level backup’ solution.
Things One should know before using ExMerge Utility
There are some key points one should be aware of these key points before using ExMerge utility. This will help the user to easily operate the utility.
- The user must have Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 to install the ExMerge.exe utility on his/her local machine.
- You have to make sure that you must have the full permissions on all the selected mailboxes you want to merge.
- Also, check that Microsoft Outlook client and Microsoft Exchange Administrator programs are installed on your system on which you are going to run the ExMerge.exe utility.
- In Microsoft Exchange Server 2000, you would have no rights to open the mailboxes even if you are an Exchange administrator. Therefore, to resolve it follow the steps given below:
1. Go to Security tab of the mounted mailbox store in the recovery storage group
2. Now, you will see Exchange Administrators Group with denying rights for send as and receive as
3. You have to give them full access by overwriting it
4. Finally, inherit the rights down to each mailbox itself
Steps to Use ExMerge.exe to Convert Exchange 2003 Mailbox to PST
The user has to follow the steps given below to manually backup Exchange mailbox to PST.
1. First, you have to download the ExMerge.exe utility from the Internet.
2. Now, you have to click on the Download button to start the downloading process on the download page
3. After the successful download of the executable file (.exe), you have to install it on your system by running it as administrator and then configure it
4. After the configuration of ExMerge utility on your system, you have to log in to your Microsoft Exchange account with Exchange Administrator rights.
5. Now, a window will appear on your system’s screen. Here, in Procedure Selection, two options are given that are Extract and Import (One Step Procedure) and other is Extract or Import (Two Step Procedure).
6. You have to select Extract or Import (Two Step Procedure) and then click on Next button
7. After that in Two Step Procedure option, you have to select Extract data from an Exchange Server mailbox and then click on the Next button.
8. Data Selection Criteria window will appear. Click on the Import Procedure tab and then select Archive data to target store option. Now, click on the OK button
9. Click on Message Details tab and fill all the required details and then click on the OK button
10. After that, you will see a list of all the mailboxes that are present on the server. Select the required mailbox and then click on the Next button
11. Now, you have to specify the target directory. Browse and select the location where you want to store the migrated PST and then click on the Next button
12. Finally, the migration process will begin. After the completion of the process, a message will appear. Now, click on the Finish button and exit the ExMerge tool
Shortcomings of ExMerge Tool
With the ExMerge utility, the user can convert mailbox to PST from Exchange Server 2007, 2000 manually but there are some limitations associated with ExMerge tool for migrating from Exchange Server. Some of the drawbacks of ExMerge tool are:
- The utility cannot work with the mailbox of size greater than 2GB
- The tool cannot be used on the front-end servers as it does not have a mailbox store
- Public folders are not supported by the ExMerge tool. It only works with the private folder on the Exchange server
- ExMerge fails to extract data when permissions are not correct
- In some cases, ExMerge fails when the user is using Exchange Server 2007
- The process to convert Exchange mailbox to PST using ExMerge is very time-consuming and lengthy
- Risk of data loss is also linked to this utility
Recommended: Export Exchange 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 Mailbox to PST
The user can opt a reliable and instant solution to export exchange mailbox to PST from Exchange Server 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003 that is This software overcomes all the limitations associated with the ExMerge.exe tool. The software allows the user to extract and backup Exchange mailbox to PST in bulk. The user can transfer complete data including email, contact, calendars etc. from mailbox to PST.
With the help of the step by step process explained above the users can easily Export Exchange 2007 / 2003 Mailbox to PST with the ExMerge utility provided by Microsoft. However, there are some limitations associated with ExMerge tool. The users may have face data loss problems while using ExMerge in different Exchange Versions. Thus, to avoid all the problems it is advised to the user to go for a trustworthy and simple solution mentioned in the above section.
1. Is ExMerge.exe is compatible with Exchange 2013?
Answer: No, ExMerge.exe is not compatible with Exchange 2013. The user can use the PowerShell command that is New-MailboxExportRequest or one can also use EDB to PST Converter.
2. Facing “Error opening message store (MSEMS). Verify that the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service is running and that you have the correct permissions to log on. (0x8004011d)” while using ExMerge utility?
Answer: If yes, then it is an error related to permissions. The user should make sure that he/she is having correct Exchange administrative permissions to export Exchange mailboxes using ExMerge utility.
3. I want to export Exchange mailbox of size 4GB. Can I use ExMerge utility to export it?
Answer: No, you cannot use ExMerge utility to export it as it does not support mailbox of size greater than 2GB.
4. With ExMerge.exe one can export single mailbox to PST?
Answer: Yes, ExMerge.exe support individual mailbox conversion. Therefore, one can easily export mailbox to PST with ExMerge tool.