How to Migrate Teams from One Tenant to Another? Know the Challenges & Their Solution
Overview: Microsoft Teams migration can be exhausting due to its multilocation integration in storage facilities. Thus, in this writeup, we have described the most acknowledged way to migrate Teams from one tenant to another, ensuring data security & business continuity.
In 2016, when Microsoft launched Teams, that time no one could have anticipated that the journey of Microsoft’s customer zero—would go on over in such a short period. And later on, it significantly changed the teams’ collaboration within the organization.
Moreover, the rapid growth of the work-from-home environment (in the covid scenario) has never been more manageable before Microsoft Teams. Being a chat-based collaboration platform it supports document sharing, online meetings, and many more extremely useful features that helped in better business communications & productivity.
Despite being the most loved collaboration platform, when it comes to migrating MS Teams from one tenant to another, users find themselves helpless. As Microsoft does not provide any software/method to perform this data migration.
Let’s have a quick look into the real-life scenario to understand the pain point of users:
We are in the process of obtaining another, similar business organization, once the formalities would be over then I and my team will be responsible for data migration within both organizations. As we can migrate Office 365 mailboxes using manual solutions but for Microsoft Teams, we are unable to execute the data migration. I haven’t any experience in performing this operation and I am a bit concerned about the enterprise data. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with something or can suggest some way out.”
Quick & Hassle Free Way to Migrate Teams from One Tenant to Another
- Step 1. Download & Run the Tool on PC.
- Step 2. Opt Office 365 as Source & Destination.
- Step 3. Enable the Teams & Channels Category.
- Step 4. Provide O365 Source & Target Credentials.
- Step 5. Add User IDs & Click on Start Migration.
Why Do Users Find It a Challenging Task to Migrate MS Teams from One Tenant to Another?
Unlike other Microsoft 365 software, MS Teams manages the storage of its data in a more complicated way, moreover, API limitations, chances of data loss, etc, make it challenging to execute.
Some of the reasons are as follows:
- Multilocation Storage Facility: The most challenging task users face when it comes to locating Teams data files. As it stores data in various locations in different file formats as follows:
- Channel Chats – Teams saves its channel chats to a hidden Exchange mailbox for compliance purposes.
- Files Shared during Channel Chats – A newly created SharePoint site stores each Team’s file & a newly created document library stores each channel’s files.
- Emails Sent to Channels– These are stored in a folder named ‘Email messages’ within the channel document library.
- 1:1 & Group Chat Messages– Saved in a hidden folder within the user mailbox that is only accessible via eDiscovery.
- Images Stored during Chats– These files are stored in a separate media store on Azure AD (using Blob storage).
- Files in 1:1 Chat: Stored in OneDrive for Business
- Teams API Limitation: There are variations in the APIs which themselves have several limitations, particularly when retrieving Teams channel chat data, sometimes it can lead to crucial data loss as well while migrating data manually.
- Data Integrity: When you move a dynamic group to the destination, it gets changed into a static group. Hence, this is the most significant challenge for users, to keep the file & folder data structure and integrity.
- Possible Chances of Data Loss: When users try to migrate Teams settings to another tenant, they end up losing the respective setting at the destination. Also, third-party integrated apps & tabs can not be migrated to target as they are integrated using the connectors, and you would eventually have to lose them.
There must be a question in your mind, then “how to perform this migration?”
Use SysTools Software to Migrate Teams from One Tenant to Another Safely
It is evident from the above that manually migrating Teams data is not practical due to the above scenarios. Therefore, it is suggested to use SysTools Microsoft Teams Migration Tool to perform any kind of Teams migration efficiently & securely.
It comes with several modern features that make the migration breeze. Moreover, it also eliminates the chances of data loss during the data transfer. Some of the software features are as follows:
- It safely migrates Teams, channels, groups, files, channel chats, etc
- Provision to automatically Create Teams & Channels in the Target account
- Also migrate Channels’ message body, formatting, date & time, etc
- Able to migrate data from Organizational, Private & Public Teams to another
- Transfers attachments, emojis, GIFs, Announcements, replies, conversations, etc.
- Keeps file & folder structure intact throughout the migration
- Offers delta migration to migrate newly arrived data from the source
- Compatible with Windows OS 10 & 11 (64-bit)
Also Read About: Office 365 Tenant to Tenant Migration Step By Step Guide
Detailed Working Steps of Software to Migrate MS Teams from One Tenant to Another
Step 1. Run the software on your PC & select the source & destination as Office 365.
Step 2. Now choose the required items from the workload selection for Teams enable the Teams & Channels checkbox and click next.
Step 3. Use your source & destination Office 365 admin credentials to log in & validate the respective permission.
Step 4. Create mapping for Users, Teams & Groups respectively. You can choose any of these three methods i.e. Fetch Users, Import Users, or Download template & validate required permission.
Step 5. Select the required Teams & hit the start migration button to migrate Teams from one tenant to another.
Step 6. Once, migration gets completed, click on the mark teams completed option.
Step 7. Lastly, select the required groups’ IDs & click on the start migration to migrate Teams to new tenant.
Must read: Microsoft Teams Chat Disappeared? Here is How to Fix It.
Bringing It All Together
With the rapid growth of mergers & acquisition activities within business organizations, the demand to migrate Teams from one tenant to another has also increased. Since Microsoft Teams has a highly integrated architecture, manually lifting and shifting the Teams data seems an impossible task to accomplish.
Therefore, to address the pain point of users, we have described the most secure & trustworthy software solution to execute this data transfer without facing any downtime.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What does it mean to migrate Teams from one tenant to another?
A: Simply put, it means that a user or administrator wants to relocate Teams’ channels, chat, files, and other Teams databases to another Teams environment connected to their specific Microsoft 365 tenant.
Q: Why would someone want to migrate Microsoft Teams to new tenant or another?
A: There could be several reasons behind this, for example – in situations like company mergers, acquisitions, restructuring, moving to a different Microsoft 365 subscription, or separating out Teams into a separate M365 environment. All of these situations require users/admins to migrate their Teams data to another or a new tenant.
Q: What is the process for migrating Teams from one tenant to another?
A: Several steps are involved in migrating Teams from one tenant to another, including preparing both tenants for the migration, exporting and importing data, and verifying that the migration was successful. Most importantly, the selection of the right approach and software plays a crucial role in the entire process.
Q: What are the prerequisites for migrating Teams from one tenant to another?
A: Before migrating Teams to new tenant, make sure you have administrative access to both the source and destination tenants. Moreover, you must have a migration plan in place, and that you have the necessary licenses and permissions.
Q: Can you migrate Teams from one tenant to another manually?
A: It is not practical to manually migrate Teams from one tenant to another. As it can be a time-consuming and complex process that requires a high level of technical expertise. Moreover, due to various API limitations, it could lead to data loss. For more info go to the challenges section of this write-up.
Q: Are there any software available, that can help in migrating Teams from one tenant to another?
A: Yes, there are several third-party tools and software available that can greatly help with Teams data migration; however, professional software, as discussed above, is always recommended.
Q: How long does it take to migrate Teams data to a new tenant?
A: There is no defined time, which can be predicted for Teams migration. As It varies according to the size and complexity of the migration. It could take several hours to several days. However, by selecting software wisely, you can reduce the time required for this entire task.
Q: Is there something to be done after the Teams migration is complete?
A: When the migration gets completed, it is essential to perform a post-migration checklist. This includes ensuring that all data has been successfully transferred, ensuring that users can access their content in the new tenant, and updating any necessary settings or configurations. It is also critical to inform all affected users about the migration and to provide any necessary training or support.