Office 365 Tenant to Tenant Migration – Detailed Explanation
The main objective of writing this blog is to help troubled users with the process of Office 365 tenant to tenant migration. It is known that a tenant is a domain account that is attached to the Office 365 Suite. Because of this, the tenant administrator has access to all the features of the chosen subscription.
Due to the maturity of Microsoft 365 in the market, the majority of businesses globally have been using it for a long time. As per the natural business cycle, companies acquire or merge with other companies or divide business units set up on their own.
- The Need to Perform Migration Between Office 365 Tenants
- Office 365 Tenant to Tenant Migration Issues & Challenges
- Most Important Pre-Migration Stage Step By Step
- Best Practices for Office 365 (Mircosoft 365) Tenant to Tenant Migration
In the coming section, we will talk about the step-by-step working solution of the above query, including the preparation, planning, and execution to avoid any errors. We will discuss the Office 365 to Office 365 Migration Tool, a brilliant software for O365 users & Admin.
5 Quick Steps to Perform Tenant Migration in Microsoft 365
- Step 1. Download, & Launch Software
- Step 2. Opt Office 365 as Source & Destination
- Step 3. Choose Mailbox items & apply Date filter
- Step 4. Log in using Office 365 Admin credentials
- Step 5. Create Mapping, Validate & Click Start
The Need to Perform Migration Between Office 365 Tenants Arises Mainly Due to These Reasons:
Meaning, if one company (using O365) acquires another company (also using O365), they might need to migrate the users, data, & domains of the acquired company.
This may seem like an easy enough task just like flicking a switch, however, that is not the case. There are a lot of things that an admin needs to take care of during the migration task.
The more services you use in Office 365, the bigger the migration project for all the data stored in these services and more complexity.
Recommendation – You can visit here to Move a Domain Between Office 365 Tenants
Performing Office 365 Tenant to Tenant migration is now a global concern for uses and enterprises. The greatest challenge among them is to determine the data that users can move and cannot move to the destination tenant.
There are various Office 365 migration services available today that offer access to several types of data stored on Office 365. However, a few shortcomings & limitations are there in order to access them all. Let’s discuss the main issues and challenges while performing this data migration.
Users should be Aware of the Office 365 Tenant to Tenant Migration Issues & Challenges
- The very first concern for business organizations having multiple Office 365 domains, is that require their coexistence at a stretch. Then, it becomes a tough & tedious process to perform a migration between tenants.
- Businesses have tons of data for users, emails & other mailbox categories, in this scenario data migration, can not be accomplished instantly. Hence, to ensure a smooth data transfer by migration teams, organization employees need to inform & collaborate with others by scheduling a meeting.
- One of the biggest challenges while performing Office 365 tenant to tenant migration in Office 365 is to ensure data integrity. They get themselves stuck when they do not insure the source email data is properly before migration.
- It can create data loss & data corruption when migrating data from older versions of MS Exchange such as 2003 and 2007. As it has a limit on mailbox size of 2GB when it exceeds the limit, it could lead to data loss.
The above-listed points are only some of the few issues & challenges that can occur while performing this operation. One can face various issues and complications while performing the above operation without any preparation and planning. Luckily we have the finest checklist for it, let’s discuss the same in the coming section.
Here is the list of Best Practices That You Should Follow before Performing Office 365 (Mircosoft 365) Tenant to Tenant Migration
- Examine the Actual Need & Scope of the Migration
In the situations where an organization needs to undergo through mergers and acquisitions process, communications become quite limited. And eventually, all the intense pressure goes to the IT department in order to perform this data transfer as soon as possible.
“Hurrying will cause problems” remember this famous quote while executing the migration process. It is quite important to take time in order to plan and execute the whole process in a more systematic way. Moreover, make sure to make a list of items to migrate such as emails, contacts, calendars, documents, or everything together depending on the firm’s respective needs.
- Back-Up the Current Source & Destination Environments
Backing up your current source and destination environment is vital before proceeding toward Office 365 tenant to tenant migration. It always works as an insurance policy – As data migration is a technical & complex process to hands-on.
Therefore, just in case anything goes wrong with the migration operation, then it can save your organization’s crucial data. It will ensure a smooth flow of business activity & communication with minimum disruption.
- Create a Comprehensive Inventory Analysis of Your Source Environment
This is another best practice to create a complete inventory of the source and the destination target environment. Before putting them for migrating from one o365 tenant to another.
You should be aware of what to migrate and what to leave behind with all the user accounts data sizes they are having, including email and OneDrive. Once you complete this step, then there is nothing more important left behind.
- Now It’s Time to Plan the Migration
Once you determine the number of data and user accounts that need to be migrated, then it’s time to plan the migration process. As the organization should also be aware of the downtime involved in this process.
And mostly they cannot afford the downtime that it may take. As it can hamper the running business activities. Therefore, phase migration would be the best option to do hands-on as you can determine the user work productivity throughout the whole migration process.
Regardless of whether the user’s data is being migrated or not. They would simply be able to communicate and continue using their Office 365 email account, keeping the whole migration process invisible (in the background) to users of the organization.
- Keep Effective Communicate Before, During & After Migration
It is the most important best practice to have effective communication throughout this migration in Microsoft 365 tenants process to encounter any error that may take place. Employees must be informed of the different working scenarios that might occur. IT managers need to manage all the licensing requirements that may happen.
- Make Sure to Monitor & Report on the Real-Time Migration Process
In the list of best practices for Office 365 tenant to tenant migration, this is the 2nd last point to remember and follow. You should ensure an appropriate way to monitor the status of the whole migration process in real-time, coordinate with other users and activities, and early detect any type of error encountered.
You can check the complete pre & post-migration checklist plan for Microsoft Office 365 here.
Now, let’s Discuss the Most Important Pre-Migration Stage Step By Step
Step 1. Domain Preparations
It is crucial to ensure the availability of enough licenses for the target Microsoft 365 tenant. Then, for a smooth and error-free migration, you should also create the respective admin accounts in the source and the destination.
Another very important step to do is, to create the respective user mailboxes, rooms /resources mailboxes, and distribution groups in the destination. You can use the AD DS tools for manual configuration or you can use directory synchronization as well.
Lastly, don’t forget to train your end-users regarding the post-migration changes that they might face in Microsoft 365.
Step 2. Online Domain verification
The next very crucial step is to verify the respective tenant domain in the O365. In order to do the same, you need to add the source domain in the destination O365 admin center and then you can create TXT records in DNS settings.
There are other ways as well, you can use the domain connect to verify the respective domain or you can the name servers in the Domain DNS settings in the respective registrar. It can take time to reflect the changes, deepening upon the method you have selected, it can vary from 30 min to up to 72 hours for the changes to reflect.
Step 3. Scheduling Your Tenant Migration
Start with creating a CSV file, that contains the list of respective user mailboxes that are to be transferred. It will later be used for group mapping or bulk migration. Then, disabling the directory sync is also an important step to avoid any modifications in the source tenant account AD DS to Office 365 platform.
Step 4. Prepare the Source Tenant
We need to remove the primary mail domain from the source tenant before initiating the migration process. In order to accomplish this task, we need to reset the default email address to the initial email address of Microsoft Office 365.
Then using the Lync Admin Portal, we need to remove all the respective Lync licenses from the source tenant. Moreover, secondary email addresses must be removed from all the tenant objects.
We can use the Windows PowerShell command i.e. Get-MsolUser -DomainName abc.com. It will retrieve all the objects still using the source email or denying the removal.
Step 5. Prepare the Destination Tenant
Follow the below-guided instructions to prepare the destination tenant accordingly:
- In the very first step, we need to configure the auto-discover CNAME.
- Create the new user accounts respectively in the destination domain and assign required licenses receptively.
- We need to change the mail routing & point the MX record to the new Office 365 email address if the user mailbox is still active.
- Lastly, we need to test the email flow for receiving and sending from the target tenant.
Invest in the Reliable & Error Free Professional Utility for MS 365 Tenant to Tenant Migration
For those who are new to the migration arena, let’s make it clear that there is no manual workaround available. Upon researching, experts have found no method smart enough to migrate the entire data successfully.
So, to make it a painless procedure, we are introducing the expert’s choice i.e. SysTools Office 365 to Office 365 Migration Tool.
Why go for a tool? Well, that is because Microsoft itself suggests that you should use trusted software for migration.
Since it is not only about a successful process to migrate Office 365 tenant to another tenant, the need to keep the data safe is also a concern. If the software you use is migrating the data without any pause but the data is lost during the process, what is the point of using the solution?
The software mentioned here is the perfect approach to avoid any data loss and have a quick, safe, & successful migration.
Highlighted Features of the Utility for Office 365 Tenant Migration
- Allows migration of all the items like Emails, Calendars, Contacts, Documents, etc.
- Perform Office 365 tenant to tenant migration for entire or selective mailboxes
- Offers a Date-range filter to migrate selective data from a certain time period
- Use the Delta Migration feature for exporting newly arrived data after the first process
- Option to set account-based priorities for migrating certain accounts before others
- Facility to import CSV file to add Source and Destination mailbox users
- Shared mailbox migration is also supported by the software
- Works on Windows 10 (64-bit) and Windows Server versions 2012 & 2016
Before learning the steps, find the pre-requisites as described.
Pre-Requisites for Migration Between Office 365 Tenants Via Tool
There are certain pre-requirements of the tool that you should know and fulfill before moving to the steps. These requirements are:
- Before migration, ensure that the destination user(s) is already created at the destination admin account.
- You should have application registration in MS Azure Active Directory and the API permissions for source & destination must be enabled.
- The activation code is needed for the tool to perform the process.
- The admin account should have the assigned license of Microsoft 365.
Software Steps to Perform Office 365 Tenant to Tenant Migration
Step 1. Launch the software and in the Setup tab, select Office 365 for both the Source and Destination accounts.
Step 2. Here, choose the categories that you want to export and set the Date-filters for each in the Workload Selection field.
Step 3. Enter the credentials for your Office 365 account in the Source Window. Press the Validate button and Next.
Step 4. Fill in the details for Destination Office 365 account and Validate it. Hit Next for moving further.
Step 5. Choose the Fetch Users or Import Users option to add mailbox users and migrate Office 365 tenant to another tenant.
Step 6. Complete the process by setting priorities for accounts, map the source and destination user accounts, and hit Start Migration.
After a few minutes, you will see all your data has been migrated successfully without any data loss and failure.
In case there are certain files that you may have received during or after the process, you have the option to export only those items.
Mark the Delta Migration option which will re-scan the mailbox again for any newly arrived data. If there is any new file, the tool will export only those files.
The Office 365 tenant to tenant migration procedure is a difficult operation that needs to be handled with care. If you perform this task using any tool which is not certified, you may end up losing your data.
To keep the data safe and have an effortless yet successful exportation procedure, the mentioned tool is the best shot. Even migration experts and professionals prefer using this utility.
Frequently Asked Questions
This step-by-step guide will help you perform a migration between Office 365 tenants, using the automated solution (suggested in this blog). There is no direct or simple manual solution available for this task.
Yes, with the help of a given solution you can easily migrate mailboxes between Office 365 Tenants.