What is Google Drive Cloud Storage
Explore Benefits of G Drive & How to Use Google Drive for Secure Online Storage
What is Google Drive Cloud Storage? Google Drive is the most popular cloud storage that enables a user to store the files securely. A user can open them with the help of any device using Google Drive. The files stored in Google Drive can be accessed from any system. The only requirement is to have an internet connection. Using the Google Drive eliminates the need to save a file to a USB Drive or email. Also, Google Drive allows the users to share files making it easier to work with other users. This blog will describe about What is Google Drive Cloud Storage as well as Benefits of GDrive Storage. If one needs to migrate data from one Google Drive Account to Another you can go for migration tool by SysTools.
Creating Files on Google Drive
Besides storing the file, Google Drive also facilitates its user to create, share and manage files and documents. Working with Google Drive somewhat resembles with Microsoft Office suite. In other words, the different types of files that you work within Google Drive is same as Microsoft Office application.
The types of files that Google Drive allows you to create are:
- Documents: For creating text-based files like essays, letters (same as MS Word documents). There are some limits imposed by the Google Drive like documents can be of 1.02 million characters in length. Also, a user can convert a document to Google Docs format only if the size of file is 50 MB or less.
- Spreadsheets: For storing and managing information (same as MS Excel workbooks). Spreadsheets made or converted in Google Sheets needs to be two million cells or smaller.
- Presentations: For creating slideshows (same as MS PowerPoint presentations). Presentations created in or converted to Google Slides should be of 100 MB size or smaller.
- Graphics: For creating vector diagrams or graphics
- Forms: Forms are used to collect and organize data
What is Google Drive Storage Limit
Google offers a free cloud online storage of 15GB just for signing. But, a user should keep in mind that this free space provided is shared among Gmail, Google Drive, and Google Photos. The items that take up the space are:
- The most files in “My Drive” like images, videos, PDFs
- Items in the trash folder
- Messages and attachments, which includes items in spam and trash folder too
- Photos and videos stored in the “original” size. You can change the size of photos and videos so that they do not occupy any storage.
- There are some applications which store “hidden data”. To see how much data is occupied by hidden data, go through the following steps:
- Open drive.google.com
- Click on gear button at top right-hand side corner and choose settings from the drop-down menu.
- From the options available at left-hand side column, choose Manage Apps
- If there is any hidden app data, it will be shown under the app description. A user can delete this data within Google Drive storage by clicking Options >> Delete hidden app data
Note: Your space is not used by Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms and Sites.
How to Share and Organize files in Google Drive
After Understanding What is Google Drive Cloud Storage Let understand in detail about File organization in G Drive. To share files from the Google Drive, user need to follow these steps:
- Open Google Drive
- Click on the files you want to share
- Then click on Share icon at top right corner.
- To share multiple files, hold Shift on your keyboard and then click on Share icon
By default, the file created or uploaded by a user is owned by him/her only. However, he/she can transfer the ownership to another person. A user can transfer the ownership of Google files and folders only. Though a user has transferred the ownership to some other person, he/she still owns the files inside.
A user can share files like Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, Drawings, Maps, and Folders. Once the ownership is transferred, the user will not be able to:
- Transfer ownership, even back to oneself
- Delete that file permanently from Google Drive
- Open Google Drive
- Select the file you want to share
- Click on Share icon.
- A pop-up window will appear. Click on Advanced
- At the right of name of person, click Down arrow
- Click Is owner , Then, save changes
- After you make someone else the owner, you can edit the shared files until the new owner changes your access.
Note: You cannot change owners from an Android device, iPhone, and iPad.
How to Use Google Drive on Desktop
The Google Drive client can be installed on the desktop. This can be done by:
Click on gear button at top right side and select “Download backup and sync for Windows”
The client which you have to install is “Backup and Sync”. This application provides to backup the files in addition to cloud storage facility.
Once this program is installed, Google Drive is added to your file system.
Now, you can backup any folder or file by right-clicking on that folder and choosing “Sync this folder”
Note: As you drag the files into Google Drive, by default, it will remain in your hard drive. But, also gets copied in the cloud. From the cloud, the files also get transferred to other places that you have connected with Google Drive cloud storage.
This post discusses what is What is Google Drive Cloud Storage & its storage capacity with details about how to access Google drive on Desktop & Online . Google Drive helps to store different types of files in the cloud. All the files like audios, videos, images etc., can be securely stored in Google Drive. The files stored in this cloud storage can be accessed from anywhere at any time. Also, it facilitates the users to share and manage the files. Moreover, it can also be synced to desktop to save Google Drive storage space.