Downloading G Suite Emails Was Never This Easy! Grab the Best 5 Ways
Ever wondered how many ways are actually there to download G Suite emails? I would say plenty! Yes, there are a lot of techniques to download your Google Apps emails and data to local storage. There might be various reasons to export the G Suite data, but choosing the right method is the key to successful G Suite data migration.
So, without much ado, let’s get started!
Top 5 Methods to Download G Suite Emails
#1 Data Export Tool in G Suite
Starting with the Data Export tool in Google Apps. This utility is available to all the G Suite for Business plans. The prior functions of Data Export utility is to save the data from Google Gmail, Team Drive, Contacts, Hangouts Chats, Documents, Vault etc.
To get started with Data Export Tool, we have to enable a couple of settings and prerequisites to download G Suite data:
- Make sure you are the super administrator of G Suite account. Also, your domain must be at least 30 days old.
- Enable 2-step Verification in the G Suite admin account.
- There must be 1000 or lesser user accounts
After you meet up with the above requirements, follow the below steps:
- Log in with your G Suite Admin details.
- Visit the Admin Console >> click on “<” button
- Move to Tools >> select Data Export option
- Hit on Start button to download G Suite emails and data.
#2 Google Takeout
One of the most popular tools among Google accounts users is Google Takeout or Takeaway. Here are all the steps to use Takeout to export Google Apps data.
- Start by Signing in to https://www.google.com/takeout.
- Now choose all the data items like Gmail, Contacts, Drive etc. that you want to export >> hit Next.
- Choose the desired file extension (.zip, .tgz) in which you want to export Google Apps data.
- Next, choose the Delivery method >> tap on Create Archive button to begin the process.
- You need to wait for a while until archive file (.zip / .tgz) is exported and ready.
- A download link of the archive file will be sent to your Google Apps mailbox.
- Open the link and download the archive file. Save the exported data from G Suite archive to the desired location.
#3 Google Workspace Export Tool
This one is the personal favorite backup solution of thousands of users to conveniently export G Suite emails to desktop. SysTools G Suite Backup Solution is a professional approach to securely perform G Suite data migration and export from single user account as well as domain account. The software is specially built to tackle the hurdles in exporting “heavy” G Suite data, which the manual methods most of the time fail to work.
The tool simply exports the Google Apps emails, contacts, calendars, and attached files to the popular PST file format. It allows Google Workspace to Outlook migration by exporting the PST file, which can be saved to any on-premise location.
Here is the free version of the software to export G Suite data, which will export 100 emails and 25 other data items from G Suite account to local storage:
#4 Google Vault
Coming next to Google Vault service. Now there are a lot of misconceptions about Vault. Many users think Vault exports a copy of Google account emails and stuff, which is in reality not true!
Google Vault is ideal to use when you want to keep an archive of your data, something which you often do not need but you might need in the future or some users actually require it for maybe legal purposes.
Vault indeed turns out to be a really useful utility when it comes to retaining historical data in any organization. Google Vault performs 3 main tasks, Retain, Search and Export/ Archive G Suite data.
Find the complete step wise tutorial of Google Vault in the article Is Google Vault A Backup?
#5 Sync Your Google Apps Account with Outlook and Export G Suite Emails to PST
Now, this is a tricky way to download Google Apps emails, easy technique though. Only applicable if you are having Outlook application. All you have to do is just configure your G Suite email account with an Outlook account and then with the Export to PST option, you can easily archive/export Google Apps data to your desktop in PST format.
To configure G Suite with Outlook, follow the below steps:
- Open your Outlook account >> go to File >> Add Account
- Now enter G Suite credentials >> tap on Advanced options >> Mark the checkbox “Let me set up my Account manually” >> Connect
- In the choose account type option, select IMAP >> Now enter the following settings:
- Incoming Mail Settings: enter “imap.gmail.com”, put “993” for Server & Port no., and select SSL/TLS as Encryption method.
- Outgoing Mail Settings: enter “smtp.gmail.com”, put “465” for Server and Port no., and choose SSL as Encryption method.
- Click on Next.
- Now you have to enter the G Suite account password >> hit on Connect >> click on OK
As soon as your G Suite account gets configured with Outlook, your G Suite emails will be synchronized and then you can easily export and download G Suite emails from MS Outlook.
Also Read: G Suite Legacy Free Edition Ending? Have you Downloaded your Emails?
Before You Implement Any of the Above Methods, Take A Look At the Lags!
Having described all the above methods, I would like to add where these techniques are lagging. Take a look at the following points and then implement the method that best suits your requirements.
- Starting with Data Export Tool, as we already discussed the prerequisites, there is more than that,
- Data export tool takes a hell lot of time (72 hours or even more) to download Google Apps emails and other items.
- The tool just can’t export data from certain user accounts for no reason.
- No freshly added data will be downloaded with this utility.
- For Google Takeout, it also takes a lot of time (even days) to export a huge amount of data.
- Google Apps export tool (the backup software) is ideal to export large G Suite data and being a third-party software it is built with the sole purpose to download G Suite data in bulk flawlessly. The only limit I believe is, it is not supported on MAC OS, but only on Windows.
- Google Vault does not mainly work to archive G Suite data, but to only Retain, Search and Export it. So, it can’t be termed as a purely backup solution.
- For the Configure G Suite with Outlook technique:
- You need MS Outlook installed in the first place.
- If the G Suite emails are heavy, say 30K emails, Outlook is going to hang and freeze, ruining the whole process. You may lose some of your data as well.
So that is it! Grab any suitable method for your Google account and download G Suite emails without stressing out.
Commonly Asked Queries
Due to the security control, only the Supper admin of G Suite account who is created 30 days prior to the request can only initiate the exportation. To start the exportation the G Suite account should enable the 2-step verification and have 1000 or fewer user accounts.
Google Takeout or Takeaway supports the archive file formats ZIP and TGZ which supports lossless data compression.
The backup tool allows the users to archive G Suite email, calendar, contact, and attached file data in PST, EML, MBOX, and MSG file format on the local system.
Google vault mainly works to retain, search, and export the data. It is mainly used to archive the G Suite mailbox which you often do not need at the moment but might need in the future.