How to Fix Exchange Dirty Shutdown State? Get Solution
Microsoft Exchange database is the crucial part of an Exchange Server which stores all users mails, calendars, contacts, notes, tasks, etc.. in mailboxes. But sometimes due to various issues and errors like – Exchange dirty shutdown state and because of it the EDB file will not open and the user cannot access it anymore.
There are some scenarios due to which the database goes into dirty shutdown such as: sudden power failure, problem in hardware, space issue in Exchange, third party application installation, etc…
Most probably, the Exchange EDB dirty shutdown state occurs when the transaction log files is not committed to the Exchange database. As we all know how much log file are important to the MS Exchange database. It records each and every event as well as communication that occurred in database.
When Exchange log files aren’t detach or disconnect from the database then it goes into a dirty shutdown state and if the transaction log file completely dismounts to its Exchange database then the state of the EDB is in a clean shutdown.
Common Exchange EDB Dirty Shutdown State Error’s
Following are the various Exchange error that occurred when the Exchange database in dirty shutdown state:
- Error MapiExceptionNetworkError Unable To Mount Database “(hr=0x80040115, ec=-2147221227)”
- Unable to mount database “(hr=0x80004005, ec=-528)”
- Exchange database wasn’t shutdown cleanly (Dirty Shutdown)
How to Fix Exchange Database Dirty Shutdown State?
One can also go for the in-built utility provided by Microsoft i.e. ESEUTIL to resolve Exchange DB Dirty Shutdown error. Users can use this tool to perform soft recovery and hard recovery in Exchange database. So, that they can able to mount the database again. But before fixing the error, there are certain points that users should do:
- Always backup of Exchange Database and Streaming Media File along with log files.
- Keep enough space in the system to perform this task
Also, users can use the EDB File Repair Tool provided by SysTools that easily recovers & repair EDB file from minimal as well as major corruption without any data loss. After recovery, users can export the recovered Exchange database mailboxes into the Live Exchange Server in a hassle freeway.
Use ESEUTIL to Resolve Exchange Dirty Shutdown State
1. First check the state of the database whether it is in Clean or Dirty Shutdown by using the command below:
2. Repair Exchange Database Dirty Shutdown by using eseutil /r cmdlet given below:
This command will bring back the Exchange database into Clean Shutdown.
3. Again check the state of the database and if the EDB is not in clean state, then user have to perform hard repair by using eseutil /p cmdlet:
Note: Using this command users may lose Exchange data. Instead of this you can use the advanced software provided here. It easily recovers severely damaged Exchange database file with no data loss.
4. Now user have to defrag the database by using eseutil /d command:
Then the Exchange database will be in a Clean state and you can mount the EDB back in the Exchange Server.
Users can also use the ISINTEG utility to remove Exchange database state dirty shutdown by using the cmdlet given below:
Limitation Of ESEUTIL Utility
- Requires hand-on experience and in-depth technical knowledge
- Time-consuming and need large space to perform this method
- It is not possible to predict the how much data is lost while using this solution
Use Recommended Method
You can use the SysTools EDB File repair Tool which saves your precious time by recover and repair corrupted/damaged offline or dismounted Exchange database file in a simplified way. It provides dual scanning option i.e. (Quick & Advance scan) which recover as well as repair Exchange mailbox and EDB file from corruption without using any command.
The advance scanning option of this utility also recovers hard deleted .edb file mailboxes and data items. So, now users can use this option to recover deleted mailbox after retention period. This utility export the recovered and healthy private mailboxes & public folder directly to the Live Exchange Server, Office 365, and PST, MBOX, MSG, HTML, PDF, EML file formats.
Key Feature Of the Automated Software
- Recover & Repair Public and Private offline/dismounted EDB file
- Preview Microsoft Exchange mailbox data items before conversion
- Extract mailbox from EDB File Exchange 2013, 2016, 2019 version
- Preserve the actual folder structure and keep metadata intact
- Categories and Date filter option convert select Exchange data
- Remove encryption from Exchange mailbox i.e. (SMIME/OpenPGP) in bulk
- Compatible with all versions of MS Exchange Server, Office 365 and Windows OS
Bringing It All Together
This write-up provides detailed information to resolve Exchange dirty shutdown state via ESEUTIL utility. Now users can use this solution and fix the Exchange 2016 / 2013 / 2010 database dirty shutdown state. To avoid the data loss and complexity of this solution, you can use the advanced software provided in the above section which easily recovers the severely corrupted Exchange database file without losing any data.